Slowing Down Filter Flow

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dem0nz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey,i have a HOB rena filta,not sure which type but it came with in a small 6.6 gal tank
there is nothing on it to alter the output and i was wondering if anybody knows anyway to slow the current down as it is in a betta tank
thanx

the only way is to wrap a thin piece of foam or filter sponge around the intake of the filter and hold it in place with some rubber bands. It will reduce the flow to a degree but might not be enough.

*NB* Don't use the white filter floss as it can get sucked up into the filter and damage the impellor.

I had quite a bit of luck with an old pair of tights with some carbon in em and worked over the output of a stingry on a similar small tank myself. After about 3-4 months, the maturation of the filter floss and cassettes slowed it down naturally so i could take it out. whenever i cleaned the tank, i carefully cleaned the sponge making sure the media cassettes only got a gentle dipping, this kept them semi clogged and the rate slower.

finally, if its a DC powered appliance and it uses a plug in convertor, buy a multi-adapter from the likes of argos etc. step the voltage down a stage at a time - the lower voltage will give a slower motor and weaker output.

thanx,i read something about cutting up a pop bottle in the betta forum but it jus didnt look 2 nice to put in my tank lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back