Slime in betta tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I recently attempted to add a small piece of driftwood and a plant to my betta's tank. I'd left the driftwood in my main tank for weeks so that the wood could build up a nice amount of bacteria and to make sure it was good and soaked. I gave the wood a rinse in conditioned water before swapping in to my betta's tank. He really seemed to love the anubias on the wood, as I found him resting on one of the higher leaves and he liked to swim between the leaves. As I went to do my weekly water change I noticed a slight film on the top of the water. I immediately placed my betta in his safety container while I whipped out my test kit. My parameters all came back safe so I thought that is was perhaps the driftwood having too much bacteria on it so my tank/ bacteria colony was adjusting. I rinsed his wood again, changed fifty percent of the water, and went about as normal. The next day the film was back. I also ran my fingers along the inside of the tank and it felt slimy, but the tank water was clear and the slime itself was not visible unless it was disturbed, where it would then float up and become that film at the top of the water. I've already taken his tank apart and rinsed all his gravel and ornaments in warm, conditioned water. I also tossed out his filter pad as it was also slimey, I replaced it with a section of filter media from my main tank so that his bacteria would still be present. My betta is doing well, normal activity and healthy appetite, if not a little peeved I disturbed his home for the third time in one week. I noticed the slime is back, but it was only on the water surface, just barely there. I did a water change and so far its fine. Test kits are coming back safe. Can anyone explain to me what this is and whats causing it?

I've removed the driftwood and the slime still developed, the only other change is that I recently switched his pellet food to Aqueon betta pellets. I never overfeed and I always soak his pellets, I also remove any food he does not eat.

Hmm, not sure what that is at all.

At first thought it was going to be like what happens during the new tank set up at the start of cycling the tank. Having a clearish slime covering the tank then goes aways is normal under those circumstance but in your case, not so.

Leave things alone as they are for the present time, and keep an eye on this water surface slime. Could be anything, possibly from the air in the room. Water is very good at absorbing elements from the air.

Keep an eye on your betta for any changes in behaviour.

Hopefully it will go away with time but perhap another member who has come across this will offer advice.

Hmm, not sure what that is at all.

At first thought it was going to be like what happens during the new tank set up at the start of cycling the tank. Having a clearish slime covering the tank then goes aways is normal under those circumstance but in your case, not so.

Leave things alone as they are for the present time, and keep an eye on this water surface slime. Could be anything, possibly from the air in the room. Water is very good at absorbing elements from the air.

Keep an eye on your betta for any changes in behaviour.

Hopefully it will go away with time but perhap another member who has come across this will offer advice.
My betta seems to not give a flying fig about any of it. The only thing I can think of is that its coming from the filter. I bought the tank as a kit and the filter is kind of odd. Instead of water going through it and back out from the filter, water spills on TOP of it as the cartridge lies flat, then the water runs through and back into the tank. It's more exposed to air then regular filters, but I've yet to find a suitable sized replacement for him. I need an internal or external filter small enough for a 5 gallon but not so large as to take up a top of space or create a stressful current for my betta :/

I had experimented with high light levels in my aquarium and I had a similar thing happen in my tank. It is not common in fresh water tanks but it is In Marine tanks (especially ones with coral) were high light levels are commonly used. In in these tanks a Protean skimmer is often used to remove this.

Basically my understanding it is a bacteria film that builds up on the water surface. I have never heard of it being harmfull. There are 3 ways to deal with it based on my understanding.

1. reduce light levels.
  2. Re-position your filter output so it drops down into the surface of the water. This will push the layer under the water where other bacteria or animals feed on it. In the past I had some Sinapore Flower shrimp (filter feeders). The would move to the current formed by the falling water and feed on the protean film fragments carried down.
  3. Attach a protean skimmer to your filter.
As I mentioned earlier I have never heard of it being harmful. But it might reduce oxygen levels in the tank if there isn't enough surface agitation to break up the film. Since your fish was behaving normally when you noticed this and is still normal I would be confortable with putting him back in the tank.

I had experimented with high light levels in my aquarium and I had a similar thing happen in my tank. It is not common in fresh water tanks but it is In Marine tanks (especially ones with coral) were high light levels are commonly used. In in these tanks a Protean skimmer is often used to remove this.

Basically my understanding it is a bacteria film that builds up on the water surface. I have never heard of it being harmfull. There are 3 ways to deal with it based on my understanding.

1. reduce light levels.
  2. Re-position your filter output so it drops down into the surface of the water. This will push the layer under the water where other bacteria or animals feed on it. In the past I had some Sinapore Flower shrimp (filter feeders). The would move to the current formed by the falling water and feed on the protean film fragments carried down.
  3. Attach a protean skimmer to your filter.
As I mentioned earlier I have never heard of it being harmful. But it might reduce oxygen levels in the tank if there isn't enough surface agitation to break up the film. Since your fish was behaving normally when you noticed this and is still normal I would be confortable with putting him back in the tank.
I've never heard of a protean skimmer, do you just attach it to the filter outtake?

I would suggest you are seeing two things, neither harmful though they may become so. The slippery feel on the tank glass is most likely the biofilm which develops on all surfaces covered by water. Bacteria (different types) adhere to this, as does algae (which is what turns the front glass hazy over time) and possibly microscopic critters. Infusoria is produced. Many fish will graze biofilms, eating algae, micro critters, and/or infusoria. These films are an incredible source of food for fry. Plant leaves develop the same biofilm. I clean the front glass with a sponge-type scraper to prevent this from forming, but otherwise I leave the surfaces alone. Generally you won't see much, except the algae of course, but higher organics can increase this.

The surface scum is probably a protein film. It comes from organics, and planted tanks have it more often. I see it in one tank from time to time, rarely in the others. When you do the waterchange, invert the changer and hold it with the opening just at the surface. With a bit of practice you will be able to suck in the visible film with some water. Air has to be entering at the same time, and it will usually create that typical sound you hear when sink drains get to the end and air goes down with the water.

The biofilm is harmless and natural, unless it gets out of control from too high nutrients/organics. The protein film should be controllable as I described above. This can become a problem if it remains and thickens, as it will literally "seal" the surface and prevent the needed gas exchange. Keeping organics under control, not over-fertilizing plants with additives, not overfeeding, water changes, filter rinsing regularly, and substrate vacuuming all help. The wood may be leeching tannins and organic substances which is what is feeding it now when it wasn't there before.

Years ago I got surface skimmers to attach to the canister filter intake, and it pulled this in obviously. But also floating plants got stuck which clogged it, and small fish went in and couldn't get out (fish can't swim backward) and I lost a couple otos before I decided it wasn't worth it and removed them. Some will suggest paper towels laid on the surface to pick it up (during a water change) but I didn't have much luck with this. The inverted water changer works fine.

Byron.

I would suggest you are seeing two things, neither harmful though they may become so. The slippery feel on the tank glass is most likely the biofilm which develops on all surfaces covered by water. Bacteria (different types) adhere to this, as does algae (which is what turns the front glass hazy over time) and possibly microscopic critters. Infusoria is produced. Many fish will graze biofilms, eating algae, micro critters, and/or infusoria. These films are an incredible source of food for fry. Plant leaves develop the same biofilm. I clean the front glass with a sponge-type scraper to prevent this from forming, but otherwise I leave the surfaces alone. Generally you won't see much, except the algae of course, but higher organics can increase this.

The surface scum is probably a protein film. It comes from organics, and planted tanks have it more often. I see it in one tank from time to time, rarely in the others. When you do the waterchange, invert the changer and hold it with the opening just at the surface. With a bit of practice you will be able to suck in the visible film with some water. Air has to be entering at the same time, and it will usually create that typical sound you hear when sink drains get to the end and air goes down with the water.

The biofilm is harmless and natural, unless it gets out of control from too high nutrients/organics. The protein film should be controllable as I described above. This can become a problem if it remains and thickens, as it will literally "seal" the surface and prevent the needed gas exchange. Keeping organics under control, not over-fertilizing plants with additives, not overfeeding, water changes, filter rinsing regularly, and substrate vacuuming all help. The wood may be leeching tannins and organic substances which is what is feeding it now when it wasn't there before.

Years ago I got surface skimmers to attach to the canister filter intake, and it pulled this in obviously. But also floating plants got stuck which clogged it, and small fish went in and couldn't get out (fish can't swim backward) and I lost a couple otos before I decided it wasn't worth it and removed them. Some will suggest paper towels laid on the surface to pick it up (during a water change) but I didn't have much luck with this. The inverted water changer works fine.

Byron.
Thanks for all the info. I suppose the wood and plant could have caused it, but the slime was on everything, and especially THICK on the silk plants. When I ran my fingers along a silk leaf it was like a thick mucus (ew). I've been watching his water parameters and I'm going to be upping his water changes from 40% once a week to 20%-30% twice a week until the slime gets under control with regular maintenance. I was really hoping to convert him to a planted tank. Should I perhaps skip the driftwood and just add real plants if the wood is the problem?

Thanks for all the info. I suppose the wood and plant could have caused it, but the slime was on everything, and especially THICK on the silk plants. When I ran my fingers along a silk leaf it was like a thick mucus (ew). I've been watching his water parameters and I'm going to be upping his water changes from 40% once a week to 20%-30% twice a week until the slime gets under control with regular maintenance. I was really hoping to convert him to a planted tank. Should I perhaps skip the driftwood and just add real plants if the wood is the problem?

This "slime" on surfaces sounds like something other than the normal biofilm, which is what I was wondering initially. Without photos, or "being there" to observe, it can be difficult to assess things. It is possible the wood is high in organic substances; this is unlikely to be from the plants. Would a photo tell us anything, I wonder?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back