Slime Disease

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

andyw823

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have an out break of slime disease which has taken 2 of my young clown loaches and one of my rainbows, i have treated the water with Interpet Anti Slime & velvet and after 7 days is showing no signs of improvment. The treatment is over 2 years old and has previously been used, do these treatments have a shelf life? Also was wondering if Melafix would be suitable for the disease?

i recently had slime disease that i believe was casued by stress of introduction of new fish. i did a big water change and did a half dose of melafix in the am and half dose of pimafix in the pm doing 30% water change everyday. in 4 days it cleared RIGHT up- as in i woke up one morning and everyone was fine.
good luck!

What are your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Has your ph changed.

Any signs of flicking and rubbing or laboured breathing.

What are your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Has your ph changed.

Any signs of flicking and rubbing or laboured breathing.

All stats are fine! Flicking and rubbing is limited to the infected fish, i had 6 clown loaches and only 3 are infected, 2 young ones have been lost and one other adult is in a bad way, other 3 are perfect and as normal. the other infected are rainbows (bosemani and parkinson) where one has been lost and the others are heavy in slime but seem ok. My other rainbows (drawf (neon) and red iran) are fine so are all the other tank mates, 3 gian danios and siamease flying foxes. I know this disease is brought on my stress/water quality but i cant see how this has happened, although approx 3 weeks ago i intoduced a new very young buldog plec, it was very shy and hid all the time, but then found it dead a few days later. But i cant see how this would stress the fish!

Speaking to my lfs today my treatment could have been out of date so i opted for the same treatment rather than mix 2 together.

1/2 dose of melafix am, and half dose of pimafix pm worked for me. small water changes every day (30%).
good luck.

Slime desease can be caused by.

Bad water quality.
parasites.
Bacterial.
Ph shock.
Toxins.

Signs of parasites are.
White spots on the fish size of a grain of salt.
Rusty coloured varnish, gold dusting, or yellow golden spots.
Bluish or greyish film on a fish.
Red sores or red pierce marks on a fish.
Excess mucas on a fish.
Red inflamed gills, or pale gills with excess slime.
Flicking and rubbing.
Darting or erratic swimming.
Labured breathing or gasping at surface of a tank.
Fish looks like something is irrataing it.
Fish will swim in a jerky movement.

Iv`e lost another rainbow today, meds have been in for 6 days now and im seeing no improvment. On inspecting the dead rainbow i found one of its gills to be bleeding. The clown loach is hanging in there but only just. Water stats are fine, just feel helpless! One thing i did notice last night when feeding, some of the excess slime was coming away as the raibows were darting around for food, could this be a sign of improvment? Now the meds have been in there could the disease be cured and its just a matter of time for the fish to repair them selfs as no other fish are beeing infected.

Are the fish still flicking and rubbing. if so I think I would go in with a parasite med.

Are the fish still flicking and rubbing. if so I think I would go in with a parasite med.

Rainbows are not flicking but the clown loach is from time to time, most of the time its hanging up right in a corner with its nose at the surface. The tank is well aired with a pump thats running 24/7. Im currently treating with Interpet Anti slime & velvet.

If there no improvement I would remove the med from the tank.

What do the gills look like.

I think I would add this med to the tank.
http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/sterazin.htm

Were the gills actually bleeding or looked like there were bleeding.
Do the gills look red and inflamed.

Gill Flukes

Symptoms:

Fish with gill flukes have gills that may appear red and inflamed, bleeding or slimy. Excess mucous or puss may exude from the gills. Sick fish can be observed gasping for air near the surface. This disease is most common in younger fish and fry, who are more susceptible to the parasite.

Cause:

The monogenetic fluke Dactylogyrus, which destroys gill tissue and damages blood vessels in this region.

Treatment:

Treat with Clout, Fluke Tabs, Paraform, Trifon, Paragon, Quick Cure, Formalin, orParasite Guard. Gill flukes are highly contagious, therefore, all fish in the same aquarium should be treated.

If there no improvement I would remove the med from the tank.

What do the gills look like.

I think I would add this med to the tank.
<a href="http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/sterazin.htm" target="_blank">http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/sterazin.htm</a>

Were the gills actually bleeding or looked like there were bleeding.
Do the gills look red and inflamed.

Gills on the current infected fish seem as normal, the dead rainbow i removed on saturady had signs of blood from one side (gills) it was also soaked into the paper towel i put the fish on. But the rainbows have been behaving starange when lights are out, one night i witnesed them darting into furniture and tank sides, which maybe down to their eyes being covered in slime but im wondering if the recent dead rainbow could have injured its self!? Clown loach has shown a slight improvment but is being bullied by the other clowns now....... cant bloody win!

Can you post your water stats please.
With the darting, flicking and rubbing, excess slime its sounding like a parasite.

Darting can mean bad water quality, ph shock, toxins, overdose of med, stray voltage, parasites.

Using a liquid test kit the stats are, PH 6.0, Ammonia (NH3/NH4) 0ppm but could be 0.25ppm its difficult to decide, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate 10ppm.
Today i have done a 30% water change and added carbon to the external filter to rid of any meds so i have a chance at a fresh start at beating this, i also bought some Melafix but not yet added any to the tank. Approx how long would the carbon tack to remove any meds?

Why do you want to add the melafix is only good on cuts and wounds.

Run the black carbon for aday or two.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back