Slime Coat Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
Before I left for the show this weekend one of my juvies was looking kinda lethargic, now it's worse. Something is definitely wrong with his slime coat, an infection or something; his fins are literally sticking together, not just clampy, and that includes his pectorals so he's having trouble swimming. Anyone know what this is? I tossed in a little of everything I had yesterday that I knew I could use together, Quick Cure, Maracyn, and Melafix, and he looks better today, but I'd rather just use what works :p

if you get no further information,chances are only 1 of those meds is making him feel better.I would give him melafix for 2-3 days and observe him.if he improves then id stick with the melafix only,otherwise do the same with the others.1 of them is bound to help.Im no expert but over medicating never helped anyone.

Well see, if I use just one for a couple of days to see which is actually the one helping, and it's the wrong one, he'll get worse in those couple of days and potentially die. At this point it's not something I can risk, he's not at the point of no return and right now I'm confident he can recover, but a couple of days without the proper medication and he's a goner. It progressed very fast during the two days I was gone, there's no way I'm going to chance it.

This is worrying me, because I have a female that I bought several days ago that started with a slime coat problem this morning. I'm sure she didn't have it last night when I did a water change for her. I got her at Walmart. I finally broke down because this one was just too cute to resist. She is one of four bettas I have just as a pet. She is next to my walmart VT male, and he has been quite happy, bubblenesting like mad. :lol:I guess I will add some salt and hope for the best. I hope its not the same thing. I just did a water change last night, so its clean. I wish you luck with yours, Synirr, wish me luck, too. Do you think I should medicate or wait to see if it gets worse?

I'd medicate TammyLiz, because it's gradually getting worse on mine when I don't... I think it's the Melafix that is working though, I used each med at a different time of the day yesterday and the fish perked up after the Melafix treatment more than anything else.

Most reactions

trending

Back