Skinny Guppies dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppiegarage

Reaction score
One by one my guppies are getting skinny ,arched back like and trying to swim along the bottom of the tank and stopping then trying again to move and within 2 days dying .
So far 2 have died it's seems to be the female's.
Iv been watching the poo and its mostly brown .
I have 2 x 20 gallon tanks one with 15 guppies and shrimp 2nd with 6 guppies and shrimp.
Running for 6 months.
Parameters
Tds112
Temp 24c
Iv dosed them with melafix and pimafix
But am thinking now it's a internal parasite.
Iv ordered Vetark Professional Fluke Solve Aquarium.
A lot of people are recommending API general cure but we can't get in the U.K
Please any help apreciated.

Don't add medications unless you know what the problem is. For future reference Melafix and Pimafix don't do much and aren't worth using.

The vetark medication you ordered is Praziquantel and is used to treat tapeworm and gill flukes but will not treat threadworms or internal protozoan infections.
Tapeworm, threadworms and gill flukes don't kill fish that quickly. If the fish dies the worm/ gill flukes die so it's in the parasites best interest to not kill the fish.

The fish are dying within a few days of going skinny and having problems swimming and that is more likely to be a bacterial infection or an internal protozoan infection. If you can post a picture of the fish it will provide more info for us to help with diagnosis.

Do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. Make sure any new water going into the tank is free of chlorine/ chloramine.

When you treat a tank you should increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen in the water.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

There is a calculator/ converter in the How To Tips section at the top of the page that can convert litres to gallons.

I did a water change yesterday morning and its a bare bottom so I do a thorough vacuum.
I have been trying to feed them up seeing their so skinny ,by feeding live brine shrimp lately. But they eat loads then hours later they look skinny again .
I read if its a internal parasite,its best to starve then for a few days while medicating them.
The fish I have are my fry left over from a large group that I'm trying to grow out. They are about 4 months now ,but have always been quiet small.
20180620_155122.jpg

It looks like a muscle wasting disease (microsporidian). If you only have guppies you can try adding salt to the tank. Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, seas salt or swimming pool salt per 20 litres of tank water. If there is no improvement after a couple of days then add another 2 heaped tablespoons of salt.

Keep the salt levels high for 4 weeks and see how they look. If they survive the 4 weeks, then start doing 10% daily water changes for 2 weeks to dilute the salt, and then start doing bigger water changes.

Glass, ghost shrimp will tolerate salt but I'm not sure on other shrimp.

Heres some more pics of poo
20180620_170637.jpg

Do I need to take out the carbon filter
20180620_165415.jpg
20180620_170320.jpg
20180620_170320.jpg
20180620_170708.jpg

Attachments

• 20180620_170637.jpg
    20180620_170637.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 787
If you treat with salt you can leave the carbon in the filter. But if you treat with medications like the Praziquantel (Vetark treatment) or Melafix, then you should throw the carbon away and not add more until you have cured the fish and done a few big water changes.

Most of the fish in the pictures look pretty good and their poop appears reasonably normal. The male in the 2nd picture (3 females & 1male) looks a bit like an Endler's Livebearer and these were hybridised with guppies some years ago. Endler's don't grow as big as guppies and neither do most of the guppy x endler young.

The female on the right of this picture looks like she has bad gill flukes and possibly other issues. So treating them all with the Vetark medication (Praziquantel) might help with the gill flukes. The Praziquantel can be used with salt and should be added to the tank once a week for 3 weeks. And you should treat all the tanks at the same time because if one fish has gill flukes they all have them.

Iv put the worst 9 guppies in a salted QT tank and will dose with Praziquantel arriving later today.
One of the other fit looking females today looks like this .
20180622_090109.jpg

Looks like hernia?
Going to try the Vetark Professional Fluke Solve Aquarium , today on the hospital tank first ,to see is any results before I treat all the tanks .

The guppy has pushed its intestine out of its butt. There is nothing you can do and normally it goes back in by itself. But if it hasn't gone back to normal tomorrow I would euthanize that fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back