Skinny Fish? Or Fish Losing Weight?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MagicPie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed over the last day or two that one of my female platys looks a lot skinnier than she ever has before. Until this morning she was fine other than this. Now she is not swimming around as much, hovering in one of the top corners of the tank. She also hasn't missed any meals. Everytime I feed them, she eats. Anyone ever had a fish that got skinny?

Could it be stomach parasites? I'll try to see what her poo looks like after I feed them today.

Thanks!

How many gallons or lites is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Have they just given birth.

How often do you feed the fish. What do you feed the fish.

Signs of internal parasites are.
Long stringy white poo or clear mucas poo.
Worms prutruding from the anus.
Enlarged anus, or red inflamed anus.
Fish will look skinny or bloated.
Sunken in belly some times.
Fish will sometimes swim on its side.
Bent spine sometimes.

How old are the platys.

How many gallons or lites is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Have they just given birth.

How often do you feed the fish. What do you feed the fish.

Signs of internal parasites are.
Long stringy white poo or clear mucas poo.
Worms prutruding from the anus.
Enlarged anus, or red inflamed anus.
Fish will look skinny or bloated.
Sunken in belly some times.
Fish will sometimes swim on its side.
Bent spine sometimes.

How old are the platys.

Water parameters:
180L tank

6 harlequins
5 neon tetra
6 ember tetra
5 cory catfish
4 oto catfish
Guppies:
- 3 adult female
- approx 5-7 fry from 3 weeks to 2 months old
Platys:
- 2 hi fin adult female
- 5 mixed adult females (including skinny one)
- approx 6-7 mixed fry (aged same as above)
5 Yamato shrimp

Total Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = <0.3
Ph = 7.6 (it's always 7.6 and always has been)

Food:
Fed once a day (in the evening) and are fed a mixture of the following:

Tetramin Crisps
TetraPrima granules
TetraPro vegetable flakes
Tetra sinking pellets for catfish

Did our usual water change yesterday.

She is now swimming around looking just as normal as the rest of our fish, but still looking skinny. She is the only fish that is/has been behaving or looking odd in any way.

Can you try and answer some of my questions please.

To many dried foods. Need a variety of frozen foods and veg.

Okay, I apologize for not saying the following:

- we bought her about 7-8 months ago and shortly after that she dropped a batch of fry, she then dropped a second batch, but hasn't dropped any in at least 2-3 months
- all males were removed from the tank approx 6 months ago and we still have a guppy and at least one platy dropping fry (but not this particular fish)
- Of the symptoms you mentioned, I have never noticed any of them other than her looking skinnier than normal

As far as your other questions (water parameters, livestock, feeding), I responded to those in my last post. All of my dates are rough as we don't keep a record of exactly what fish we buy and when we buy them or when we notice fry in the tank.

Thanks for your help.

If you are in the uk try this med.

http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mal...ol%20001/198936

Camallanus

Symptoms:

When the fish is stationary, deep red worms can be seen protruding from the anal pore. They are only visible when the fish is still because the worms retreat into the intestine at the fish’s slightest movement. Other signs may include an inflamed and enlarged anus. In severe infestations, the fish may become emaciated and spinal curvature may also occur.

Cause:

The parasitic worms Camallanus Cotti and Camallanus lacustris. These small, livebearing parasitic worms attach to the intestinal walls and rectum with pinchers. The worm’s grip is so tight that any attempts to remove it forcibly will rip away tissue from the intestinal wall. The worm’s pinching causes ischemia (reduced blood flow) to that part of the intestine. In time, the tissue to that part of the intestine will die, at which time the worm will migrate to another part of the intestine. This causes perforations throughout the intestine, which allows other pathogens to gain entry. If the fish is not treated, either the parasite or bacterial will kill the fish. Camallanus infestations occur most often in livebearing fish such as Guppies and Mollies, though infection is possible in all fish. Camallanus infestations are contagious. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium, should be treated.

Treatment:

Treat with Internal Parasite Guard, Pipzine, Disco-Worm, Trichlorfon or Fluke-Tabs as well as a medicated food to prevent a bacterial infection.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back