Si's Fishless Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nah, just a nip, no blood.....this time

Just looking at the size of their eyes they are still very young, might be tricky to sex....

Maybe it's worth posting a separate topic on the question, you'll get more people looking at the pics I'm sure

I will do soon :)

Should I get some nerite snails when I get amanos in a few days? I have a bit more sand so the kuhlis don't dig up the substrate so might be useful? (2 inches)

Before they get stressed :)

CIMG3456.jpg

I would try and get some MTS for free (well postage only) on here...Nerites are nice though

Don't be afraid to use the flash when you take a pic, just don't get trigger happy...

Make sure you get a nice shot when the tank lights are on! I need to see that saturation and colour ;)

lol I think they can see their reflections in the glass far too much, they are constantly swimming with there noses up and down the glass!

lol I think they can see their reflections in the glass far too much, they are constantly swimming with there noses up and down the glass!

Our molly swims up through the filter output flow and down through is consistently for about an hour and then swims through the plants as if it were an assault course for about an hour. Then back, the others just drift around the tank like fish. The molly already has a personality to go with it, somewhat like my rabbit its the first to investigate what happens. The molly always goes in between my fingers when I'm testing the water for Ammonia/Nitrite. I'm concerned what he might do come their first water change lol.

haha, I checked the buckets to make sure no kuhlis shot up the syphon!

I've made a little slate cave I will put it in tomorrow... glued it with cyanoacrylate if anyone is interested.

I'm so happy with this tank now, I really hope this pH stays pretty stable but other than that I dont' have any worries. for some reason its almost 2am here and the 2 rams are swimming right at the front of the tank! Got more confidence now... the kuhlis are out (they are nocturnal though..) swimming around very actively. It was funny before because one kuhli went and lay beside the 2 rams... they get on well sifting through the sand together :lol:

double 0's this morning :good: pH is also 7-7.2 as well! hasn't moved for days now

so I am going to stick the third and final piece of bogwood in today and test the pH throughout the day.

Heres some pics of when they got a bit scared because the lights came on

CIMG3469.jpg

The other ram came to join them

CIMG3474.jpg

I counted 8 kuhlis too. Bit unusual apparently to see them all out so soon!

My tank takes bout 3 days to go slightly yellow from the bogwood.

Combining the tea colour water + Arcadia tropical lamp + sand = a beautiful golden floor. I really like the tannins in my water, I'll be sad to see them go :(

Yeah, I added the biggest bogwood piece before and there has been no change as of yet. If anything it may have gone up! staying 7-7.2

Things going well so far. rams not a big fan of the light though but colour is coming back slowly.

Heres a solution for you, get some more bogwood ;) I think its iron wood that i've got in my tank, whatever that means.

edit: I know another reason why my tank pH dropped so suddenly. I boiled the water... hahahahahahaha :look: what does that do... lower the KH!

~~waterdrop~~

As information packed that was I'm struggling to understand the idea in some places.

In the easy short term, could you go along with the idea a mature tank is a tank which can have 1/3 of its filter media taken and not take a set back? As a vague definition.

If I were to purchase a new tank and move my "Mature filter" across the filter would technically be mature but would it take the tank 6 months itself to mature? Or are we mainly talking filters only here?

...and oh how we have missed you Waterdrop!

Me and my girlfriend have got ourselves

1 x Platy
1 x Molly
1 x Honey Gourami

After our 5/6 days of double zeroes. Its been so long since I've seen your pretty face on here, perhaps when you complimented our beautiful nation for its plant growing abilities :fun:

I haven't bothered writing our fish-less cycle results up onto a table fully but if you would like me to do so, so you can browse through the data gathered then I would be happy to do so.
Ha, yeah, its really been painful to log on here and seeing about 6 of you having so many posts I can't read them all and therefor can feel sure about the full carefulness of my own posts. I'd had some discussions with OM and the other mods that I knew I had some work coming up that would probably force me to be scarce and its really happened, I'm getting the squeeze both at work and home and nowhere near enough time to keep up with the beginner section the same way I used to. Its probably going to be bad off and on all summer but hopefully I'll have my moments when I can manage to get on and have some significant time.

Am enjoying seeing the bunch of you reaching the point of having fish! WD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back