Single white spot appeared on pregnant platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matthew110

Reaction score
hi,

I recently posted a thread on my pregnant Platy, and since then her stomach has gone huge and looks like she has squared off, a small white spot has started to appear in between her fins near the anal area. Is this normal? I’ll attach some photos that show her ‘squaring off’.
I tried to get a good photo of her white spot but cannot see it clearly, so I will try get a better one and comment it on this thread

IMG_2039.JPG
IMG_2031.JPG
Here are the images, She has also seemed to isolate herself in the corner of the tank, is this usual?
IMG_2041.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 1,994
  • IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 508
Need more pictures. I can't tell anything from the pictures from her tail.

Need more pictures. I can't tell anything from the pictures from her tail.
Sorry, just tried to get some more but she is hiding her anal area, is that a sign? Here is another image of her stomach though, has she squared off?
IMG_2046.JPG

I think she has Camallanus (hair worms).
There looks like a thin red hairlike thing sticking out of her butt, between the anal fin and the 2 pelvic fins. It looks like a tiny white spot with the thin red hair coming out of it. If this is correct then she has intestinal worms called hair or thread worms.

Depending on what medications are available to you, will determine what you use to treat her. Ring your local petshop and ask what they sell to treat Camallanus hair worms in fish. Write down the names of the products they carry and post on here for us to scrutinise. Some worming medications are extremely toxic so Don't buy anything until we know what you have available.

Intestinal worms will not kill fish quickly and most livebearers are infected with them at the breeders. It is very common in platies, guppies, swordtails & mollies and lots of fish get fat and look pregnant, but they never give birth. They are fat from the worms.

Treatment is fairly simple with medication being added to all the aquariums in the house at the same time. The worms are killed or expelled within a few hours and the following day the fish are usually skinny. But right now contact your petshop and see what is available. Or google worming medications for fish.

I think she has Camallanus (hair worms).
There looks like a thin red hairlike thing sticking out of her butt, between the anal fin and the 2 pelvic fins. It looks like a tiny white spot with the thin red hair coming out of it. If this is correct then she has intestinal worms called hair or thread worms.

Depending on what medications are available to you, will determine what you use to treat her. Ring your local petshop and ask what they sell to treat Camallanus hair worms in fish. Write down the names of the products they carry and post on here for us to scrutinise. Some worming medications are extremely toxic so Don't buy anything until we know what you have available.

Intestinal worms will not kill fish quickly and most livebearers are infected with them at the breeders. It is very common in platies, guppies, swordtails & mollies and lots of fish get fat and look pregnant, but they never give birth. They are fat from the worms.

Treatment is fairly simple with medication being added to all the aquariums in the house at the same time. The worms are killed or expelled within a few hours and the following day the fish are usually skinny. But right now contact your petshop and see what is available. Or google worming medications for fish.

Dang, I think she does,
IMG_2064.JPG

Here is a treatment I found:
2018-05-05.png

That is not a camallanus worm, could be a big round worm but most likely it's just a poop.

Camallanus are tiny thin things and look like the thin thing sticking out of her butt in post #4.

The levamisole hydrochloride should work nicely for camallanus worms.

Treat once a week for 3 treatments total. And do a big (50-75%) water change 24-48hours after treating. Gravel clean the tank when you do the water changes.

Treat all the tanks in the house, including your sisters. And do water changes & gravel cleans on them all after treatment.

Last edited:
That is not a camallanus worm, could be a big round worm but most likely it's just a poop.

Camallanus are tiny thin things and look like the thin thing sticking out of her butt in post #4.

The levamisole hydrochloride should work nicely for camallanus worms.

Treat once a week for 3 treatments total. And do a big (50-75%) water change 24-48hours after treating. Gravel clean the tank when you do the water changes.

Treat all the tanks in the house, including your sisters. And do water changes & gravel cleans on them all after treatment.

Hi, no she doesn’t have worms and she gave birth last night/ early thismorning. Since I missed putting her in the breeder box I have only managed to find 4 fry, which is good for my situation at the moment.

If you have a breeding net, scoop the fry up with a small plastic container and put them in the breeding net.

Keep an eye on the fish. I they get any thin red lines sticking out their butt, they have camallanus. :)

If you have a breeding net, scoop the fry up with a small plastic container and put them in the breeding net.

Keep an eye on the fish. I they get any thin red lines sticking out their butt, they have camallanus. :)
Ok, I currently have 3 in a 3-in-1 breeder box, I didn't put her in the breeder box overnight as I did not expect her to give birth. So I currently only have found 3. But they are currently swimming around happily in the breeder box, as soon as they are old enough I will put them in a 22L tank I just got today, so it is still cycling (no fish). I am worried that my fry is too scared to eat as my Platys are trying to get inside the breeder box and pecking at the sides. Will this stress the fry and kill them?

Do you have any floating plants or plastic plants?
If you do, then put some plants in with the baby fish and they will hide among the leaves and the parents won't see them.
If you don't have any floating plants or plastic plants, then try to get some Water Sprite and put that in with the babies. It is the best floating plant for livebearers like platies. If you can't get Water Sprite then buy a couple of plastic plants with lots of fine leaves and let them float in the main tank and in the baby's tank.

Do you have any floating plants or plastic plants?
If you do, then put some plants in with the baby fish and they will hide among the leaves and the parents won't see them.
If you don't have any floating plants or plastic plants, then try to get some Water Sprite and put that in with the babies. It is the best floating plant for livebearers like platies. If you can't get Water Sprite then buy a couple of plastic plants with lots of fine leaves and let them float in the main tank and in the baby's tank.
I currently have a plant in the breeder box that they hide in, but I think the leaves are too open. It won't let me post a photo so I will try to comment it after this

I currently have a plant in the breeder box that they hide in, but I think the leaves are too open. It won't let me post a photo so I will try to comment it after this
Telling me that my file (image) is too big for the server to process, so I can't upload it

That's alright. Anything that provides them with cover will help, even a plastic plant with big leaves. It just gives them somewhere to stay near so they don't feel exposed by being in open water :)

That's alright. Anything that provides them with cover will help, even a plastic plant with big leaves. It just gives them somewhere to stay near so they don't feel exposed by being in open water :)

Ok Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back