April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LeiBee

Reaction score
Hi All!

Recently (Approx 2.5 months ago) I introduced six Silvertip Tetra into my (new) community tank, they live alongside Paul (BN), 10 Neon Tetra & 8 Raspboros. They've all been living very happily but the last few days one of the silvertips is in my opinion acting a little weird. This isn't my first rodeo, and all my levels are near on perfect but these are my first Silvertips so I could be over thinking what is perfectly normal behaviour but I want to rule out anything untoward.

They all live happily in a large tank (65.1 x 31 x 53.3 cm)
It is well planted and also contains bog wood and a lovely castle ornament
The tank has been arranged to provide the planted areas my Tetra especially seem to love as well as good open spaces and there are some floating plants as well.

But this one, singular silvertip is just sitting there. Doesn't appear to be breathing heavily, eating fine but food is all she will move for.

Here's some pictures so you can see where she is sat, it's peculiar as I'm not sure if she is simply watching me

IMG_4700.JPG
IMG_4701.JPG
IMG_4702.JPG

I won't guess at issues, but only say that some things to consider are the group size. Six is the usual minimum suggested, but we must remember than more will almost always be better. It is possible this one fish is being picked on by the others, or one of the others...have you noticed any such behaviour? To see this, you generally have to sit motionless for half an hour or so in front of the tank--completely motionless so the fish forget you are there and will tend to act more normally (your presence signals food or disturbance).

Another option is that it was injured during netting/travel. Or has some internal problem or disease. Many of these do not appear externally, other than abnormal activity/behaviour.

Byron.

Nope, no bullying or anything like that.
i set up a camera to check this as that was my first assumption.
I do plan to increase there school size in the near future up to 12.
She's been fine since introduction which was over 2 months ago now, she's only started doing this recently I've moved her into my QT to be on the safe side but she is acting normally in there although does appear stressed at being away from her school but she was the only one I could catch today the rest spotted me and where goners into the plants
I've given her a good look over and can't see any external signs of injury or illness.
My QT is bare though aside from a few smaller plants and she's shown zero interest in the bottom.

Looks like a trip to the vet for her.

After a stay in QT and a trip to the vet, I still have no idea what is going on with this fish.
I reintroduced her into the community tank yesterday and left the camera on overnight to see what she gets up to and make sure no one was picking on her but she’s been fine, rejoined her school overnight (they tend to all stay nearer each other of a nighttime and do their own thing in the day) she hasn’t done anything abnormal since rejoining and hasn’t even got near the bottom of the tank. So the only answer we’ve got is she was having a funny few days. Silly fishy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back