Silver Shark Losing Scales

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

petemcb

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a problem with 2 Silver Shark that I have, I noticed about 2 weeks ago that one of them was showing signs of scale loss. I used what I had of esha2000 and it didn't help. A few days after I noticed my other shark was showing the same signs.

I looked around on other forum sites and there didn't seem to be any diseases known where fish lose their scales (that I could see). I went to a local aquarium shop near to where I live but I don't think they had a clue what they were talking about, they told me I should try esha2000 to which I told them I had already tried so they told me to try Waterlife Myxazin - it doesn't seem to be helping, so I am writing in the hope that someone could point me in the right direction to rid this of my tank. I have added a photo to give you a better idea. Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance
Pete

m_IMG_0752.jpg

what size tank do you have and what are the tank mates? also what are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings?

what fish have you got in the tank?
it could be other pecking at him

I have a synodontis, 4 balloon mollys, a beta, 2 platys. I know betas can cause problems to many fish but he keeps himself to himself, I've never had any trouble with him. I have had my fish for about 8 months now and this is the first time I have seen this.

what size tank do you have and what are the tank mates? also what are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings?

My tank is 15"x15"x48" the tank mates are 1 synodontis, 4 balloon mollys, 1 beta and 2 platys my readings are where they should be (I've never and any problems with readings). I read somewhere that the silver shark could have knocked/trapped itself somewhere in the tank hence loss of scales, but I feel this is a little more extreme than that.

They are swimming around like there is nothing wrong, I just don't to wake up one morning and find them floating in the tank

Hi there,
I have a problem with 2 Silver Shark that I have, I noticed about 2 weeks ago that one of them was showing signs of scale loss. I used what I had of esha2000 and it didn't help. A few days after I noticed my other shark was showing the same signs.

I looked around on other forum sites and there didn't seem to be any diseases known where fish lose their scales (that I could see). I went to a local aquarium shop near to where I live but I don't think they had a clue what they were talking about, they told me I should try esha2000 to which I told them I had already tried so they told me to try Waterlife Myxazin - it doesn't seem to be helping, so I am writing in the hope that someone could point me in the right direction to rid this of my tank. I have added a photo to give you a better idea. Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance
Pete

m_IMG_0752.jpg

they could well be bashing into the tank end/sides. your tank is way too small for Bala sharks. they may well be bashing each other during feeding. it seems that the simple expedient of buying a big enough tank (5-6 foot long say 90 or so gallons) is a treatment for this problem.

i hope they get better soon! looks very sore :-( love Balla sharks my tanks too sall for them :-( maybe one day!

Hello,
Sorry to see your Bala shark is not having a good time at the mo. Can i recommend regular water changes whilst he's recovering, hopefully clean water will prevent any infections.

Good luck, Keith.

id say it has hit something in the tank,
hope he gets better though

I have just been watching my tank for the past 30 minutes and noticed that two of the balloon mollies have been pecking at them when the venture to the other side of the tank, I am assuming that this is the problem? (I've never seen this happen until now)If this is the case then these mollies will be going back to the aquatic shop. I've never had balloon mollies before, it was only because my fiancee wanted them that's why I got them.

As I say I've never had this problem before, I've had Bala before in the same tank a few years ago from when they where around a couple of inches long at that time I had five of them for about 6 years with no trouble whatsoever they grew up to around 6 inches. They are my favour in aquarium fish along with clown loaches :D

I am sorry but part of the problem is your tank size - - you really need to address this immediately- These fish have the potential to get over a foot long and need a 5-6 foot tank at minimum. Also, they do best in schools to minimize aggression.

you are probably just seeing the mollies pick at the wound because they can see the fish is vulnerable - - most species will do this. However, I seriously doubt that mollies caused the injury. You are probably not seeing aggression between the sharks at night - - also with your smaller than recommended tank, it increases such hostilities because the growing fish do not have the room to "take a break" from each other.

your best bet for the health of the sharks is to either upgrade your tank or rehome them - either on craigslist, on this site, or take them back to a LFS (most will take fish in for little to no store credit)

In the mean time, massive water changes to keep water as pristine as possible to help in healing the wounds and keep on top of your water readings. If you do not have a test kit get one immediately - it is the only way you can ever insure that your water quality is acceptable. just looking at the water and seeing that it is "clear" is not a sign at all that the water is clean.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back