Silver Molly turned grey!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JoLtNbolt

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My male silver molly turned grey!!! Is this something that I should be worried about? My female molly is still white/silver.

Some mollies are known to look silver or grey as juviniles and become marbled as adults. How old is the molly? I assume it is an adult, and I've not heard of an adult changing colors before.

I have a dalmation molly which has turned almost black whereas it sister is still spotty they came from the same female

ok... i was concerned that he might be sick... and I just left town for 5 days to deal with a family emergency. Hopefully he'll be alive when I get back. I put a 5 day feeder in the tank before i left.

As long as it's not a slimey looking grey.

no, it's not slimy... it just looked liked the color of his scales changed and same with his dorsal fin

My silver mollies appear to be turning grey aswell. I lost one last week that overnight turned almost black. Are your mollies still alive and if so what did you treat the water with.

actually, that dosen't seem odd at all to me. your molly's just probably getting old. think about it. when people get old, their hair turns white, the color is no longer in their cells. it must be similar to fish. the color is coming out of the scales. but yet, that dosen't exactly make sence, because white is partly color, so if it is color, that means the fish would turn see-through. but this isn't whte we are talking about, we are talking about the color grey. so, if i am correct, this is going to be the color stage of your silver molly: Silverish-white, Gray, White, See-through. it's quite possible if you think about it.

No i don't think thats correct as my other mollies that are just becoming affected aswell are only about 6 months old if that.

yeah i don't think this molly is all that old... I just got it about 2 weeks ago, and I don't know if it's still alive cuz i had to leave town to deal with a family emergency, so I put in a 7 day feeder block. I'll find out how he's doing on weds when I get back home!

bjmagik said:
No i don't think thats correct as my other mollies that are just becoming affected aswell are only about 6 months old if that.
They won't even be full grown at that size, standard mollys will get to about 3-4inchs and sailfins will get 4-5inchs long when fully grown. Dalmation mollys will somtimes go through color changes as they mature and it takes about a year for them to fully mature-they can turn from white to grey and grey to black and vice versa and all that.

I wouldn't say that my molly is more than 1.25 inches or so.....

what size do they need to be before they can reproduce?

JoLtNbolt said:
I wouldn't say that my molly is more than 1.25 inches or so.....

what size do they need to be before they can reproduce?
3inchs for most, mollys take much longer than guppys and platys to grow but also produce alot more fry on average- basically do not worry about your color morphs in your mollys as they mature as its perfectly normal for mollys with dalmation genes in them which most do have and i strongly suspect this is the case with yours :) .

Well I'm back home after 5 days in Houston dealing with a family emergency, and my male silver molly is no longer gray and is silver again!!!

Tokis-Phoenix said:
3inchs for most, mollys take much longer than guppys and platys to grow but also produce alot more fry on average- basically do not worry about your color morphs in your mollys as they mature as its perfectly normal for mollys with dalmation genes in them which most do have and i strongly suspect this is the case with yours :) .
[snapback]841959[/snapback]​
for breeding, when they are three inches, that includes the fin, right?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back