Silver Dollar Shoal With Geophagus?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

tetraodon_biocellatus

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
   Hello everyone, 

I have a 125 gallon south american biotope, It is currently stocked with one geophagus brasiliensis, three geophagus altifrons, and one acarichthtys heckelii. I want to add 5 silver dollars (Metynnis Hypsauchen). I know they are listed as peaceful but will they be too boisterous? My geophagus brasiliensis is around 5 inches, the altifrons are only about 2 inches, and the heckelii is around 3 inches. The braisiliensis can be somewhat territorial at times but in a 6 foot tank it doesn't effect the other inhabitants too much. What are some alternatives if SD's wont work? Im nervous about adding tetras and I want to stick to south american fish. Does anyone have experience keeping these fish together? Im nervous about adding tetras and I want to stick to south american fish. 

I have read that silver dollars can damage themselves running into tank walls and are capable of breaking glass heaters, are these things I need to worry about? 

Thanks! 

UPDATE:

I think im just going to go for it, Ill let everyone know how things pan out.

Cheers!

Hi tetraodon,

I haven't kept silver dollars, but I've kept both altifrons & brasiliensis with active fish (e.g. Rainbowfish, tetras & denisonii) without any problems. I think in a 6' tank, your geos and the silver dollars will probably ignore each other most of the time.

i haven't kept heckelii yet, but from what I've read, you're goung to see some interesting interactions between it and your brasiliensis.

I reckon wide bodied tetras would also make good tank mates. Make sure you choose a species that grows to a decent size though, otherwise your geos will like them more than you intended.

Silver dollars are awesome I have 4 that are 5-6" . They are cool fish you can have mine they are for sale $20 for the 4. They make the best tank mates for most NW Cichilds. They are mellow but FAST when need be. They are really tough fish. 

Do it you will be happy you did. 

It is during feeding time that they get CRAZY! They also love to eat plants or anything green really. THese are mine they are bigger now. 
https://youtu.be/QQJTUqsSH_4

Most reactions

trending

Back