What's new

Silver Dollar Problem! Please Help!

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

lepackt

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have 2 silver dollars. I HAD them in a community tank but every time I turned out the lights I would wake up with a dead fish! In total I lost 3 ballon bellies mollies and a bala shark before I put them in a separate tank. Right now the 2 of them are the in a tank with a silver gouramie which they are actually schooling with. Gourami is about 3 inches and the dollars are 2 inches and an inch. I know the inch for every gallon rule and my tank is good for now, 40 gallons. Anyways my dollars would literally chase my other fish till they die of exaughstion! The bala shark they killed was bigger then them but they do not bother my neon tetras (maybe they are to fast). My silver gourami ended up with them because he was bulling my dwarf gourami (kinda seems like a time out tank :p) What would be some good fish to put in with fish like this? My tank right now just looks quite lifeless since I moved them from the 10 gallon to a 40 (10 gallon was an emergency tank till I got the cheap 40 gallon). I really don't want any more dead fish but would like something besides silver dollars in the tank and my weird silver gourami that schools with them

Silver Dollars are shoaling fish, so keeping then in pairs is not the best for them. Unfortunately your tank is a tad small for them too. A shoal of about 5 or 6 would need about 5ft of tank to cruise around, minimum in my opinion. Could be why they're hassling everything (although they're usually very peaceful fish).

Hope this helps.

I know of many people that also have the same problem with them being pests, no so much aggressive but more just so me thing to do. I will continue to get a bigger tank later as my plan has always been but this was what I could do for now, I had 3 but he swam in the filter I would like something besides silver dollars in the tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back