Sidebar Competition - Unmodified 2L Bottle Tank! Sign-Up Here.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

eaglesaquarium

Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Slight change to the rules... see the RED text below.

I've been contacted by mike4555555 and Zikofski.  They would like to have a fun competition planting recycled bottles.

Here's how it will work:

This competition will run for 3 months total. 

Stage 1: Two week sign-up period.
Stage 2: Two months of grow-out
Stage 3: Two weeks to enter your photo of your bottle "planted tank" and verification pic.
Stage 4: Two week voting period (You don't need to participate to vote!!!)

Rules:  
  • you can use any clear 2L bottle
  • you cannot modify the bottle in any way, the only way to get thing's in and out of the bottle will be through the hole in the top - the only exception to this is that a bottle set-up on its side MAY have a hole just large enough for a airline hose to be used to fill the tank up, but NOT large enough to aid in placement of aquascaping, or to allow larger objects to be placed in it.
  • you can add as little or as much water to the bottle as you want. (in other words it can be emerged)
  • if doing a emerged bottle you may only use aquatic plants which would be used in a planted tank
  • you can use any heat, light, fertilizers, CO2, substrate and hard scape you want  (just be careful not to melt the bottle)
  • verification will be needed when the voting starts.
  • you may start your bottle as soon as your name is on this list
  • you may start more than 1 bottle, but you may only enter 1 into the entry thread at the end
  • you may have your bottle upright or laying down, that's a personal choice.
  • if you don't sign up you can still enter a bottle in the entry thread if you start late.  
  • I think it goes with out saying, but this competition is about the aquascape NOT ANIMALS.  Please do not put ANY animals in the "tank".

Personal notes from mike455555:
  • watch out for algae if adding a lot of water
  • bottles can be found cheaply in supermarkets, with their own branded water in them
  • use blue tack wedges to keep it in place and to stop it rolling around
  • long tweezers help a lot, but if not wire / bamboo skewers will work just as well, if you need to move soil, cut some plastic and stick it to a bamboo skewer 
  • have fun and i cant wait to see the entry's

You may also ask questions in this thread if you need some clarification. 

MOD NOTE:  There will be no "badge" or anything else associated with this competition.  This is merely for fun and bragging rights!  And maybe even developing a whole new nano aquascaping tank craze! 

i think it go's without saying, im in, and thanks eagle for setting it up =] 

Will this be monthly? I wanna try it so bad! Can jars work too? What is the maximum diameter for the bottles opening/hole?

id say no to jar's for now because they have larger openings, its a level playing field if everyone uses a bottle, (i reckon the best ones will be the 2L ones) 

and no its a one off comp, although it might run every now and then?, i dont know if its a hit it might become monthly 

I think the max opening size should be: 5 cm/2 inches.

Any objections?

As for how often this will happen, let's just try it once first.  ;)

Actually I like Mike's suggestion, and maybe we should restrict it to ONLY 2L bottles, so that it is TRULY a level playing field.

I have a juice bottle that's got a wider opening.  I like it because its more rectangular in shape, but uniformity might be a good thing for this comp... maybe if this is successful we could expand it a bit.

i think uniformity would be good, so we should limit it to 2L's only? 

Yes.  I think its a universal size.  Sounds good.  I'll update the top post to reflect that.

well i would say max 5Ltr and i disagree with the 
  • you cannot modify the bottle in any way, the only way to get thing's in and out of the bottle will be through the hole in the top.
seeming i have already modified mine, the idea was to make the best scape within the bottle's but cutting holes into the bottles to get rock or wood in was the general idea i was told i have already doen that :( so i guess i cant enter my own comp :(

heres one of mine i did today to give you guys an idea of what could be done
http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/mike455555/media/012-3_zpsfcc405cb.jpg.html

012-3_zpsfcc405cb.jpg
014-2_zps694c15af.jpg

ignore the mess of it, the plants will cover / condensation will wash the bottle down 

plant list: 

Cryptocoryne parva
Pogostemon Helferi
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hemianthus callitrichoides 
Vesicularia ferriei (weeping moss)

Zikofski said:
well i would say max 5Ltr and i disagree with the 
  • you cannot modify the bottle in any way, the only way to get thing's in and out of the bottle will be through the hole in the top.
seeming i have already modified mine, the idea was to make the best scape within the bottle's but cutting holes into the bottles to get rock or wood in was the general idea i was told i have already doen that
sad.png
so i guess i cant enter my own comp
sad.png

I thought the general idea was to scape it from accessing the small hole.  mike sent me the rules, I just uploaded them (and changed the wording a bit).  You two work out the details and get back to me!  :p

Of course you can enter... just not with that bottle. ;)   Like I said, you and mike flesh out the details a bit more and we will update the rules to reflect whatever you two decide.

the question is how do I fill it up when it is sideways? How about 2 litre coke bottles? How about making those standard or uniform bottles. Lets try making this a cause to save our Earth, one bottle at a time! We recycle old and meaningless bottles into great planted bottles!

Somehow I've had a bottle I've been growing algea in, however the bottle is .5L.
sad.png
It has the same size opening as a 2L!

It certainly is an interesting idea.
yes.gif

DerpPH said:
the question is how do I fill it up when it is sideways? How about 2 litre coke bottles? How about making those standard or uniform bottles. Lets try making this a cause to save our Earth, one bottle at a time! We recycle old and meaningless bottles into great planted bottles!
you fill it up upright with a funnel, turn it on its side and shake the earth down, then use a airline pipe and water to wash the sides 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back