Sick Tetra Glofish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta/GloTanks

Reaction score
Just noticed this today as I was inspecting the tank, first incident with a sick fish so looking for help from the veterans for assistance. First things first:

Tank size: 75 gallons - a mature cycled tank with no previous issues
PH: 6.8-7.2
Ammonia: 0-0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
KH: 120-180
GH: 130-150 (Hard)
Tank Temperature: constant 78 degrees at furthest point from heater

Occupants:
23 Tetra Glofish
2 Emerald Catfish
2 Otocinclus - algae eater
5 Nerite Snails

Upkeep/Care:

100 Gallon three tiered canister filter:
Bottom layer: thick particulate / fine particulate filters
Middle layer: fine particulate / carbon / ammonia filters
Top layer: fine particulate / biomax media
Water bar is used and angled to agitate the top of the water.

Air tube

10-20% water changes conducted, depending on amount of time needed to clean substrate without stressing occupants too much.

As stated above this is my first experience with a sick fish, and we care about them like they're family so kind of stressed as I want to do everything possible for him. I check the tanks daily out of habit to ensure everyone is getting along, conduct an accountability/fin check, and make sure tank is looking/operating well. This is mainly for the Betta sorority, but I'm glad I do it for all tanks now. There haven't been any new additions to the tank in over 3 weeks, with the last additions being an otocinclus and the snails.

Noticed that the normally thin lateral line of the Tetra in question seemed to have an abnormality. Upon further inspection a lump, possibly two could be seen. We've since quarantined the fish and begun researching potential candidates. I'll attempt to attach pictures for easier visualization of the issue.

From what we have found it most closely resembles Lymphocystis, cauliflower disease. I say this only as the symptoms seem to match most closely with the description of this disease.

Http://eekers.paper-tigers.org/fishnthings/just_diseases.html

Questions/concerns:
1. Treatment/prognosis?
2. Are the rest of the fish at risk?
3. Potential causes?
4. General guidance/recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    699 KB · Views: 290
I'd definitely keep that fish in a quarantine tank with a heater and preferably an established filter, but an air stone will work with frequent water changes. It sounds and looks like the lumps could end up becoming open wounds, so I would have a fish antibiotic on hand to ward off secondary infections.

Do as the article said, find a med with Acriflavan in it and treat the fish. Keep water quality high and the quarantine tank (or bucket) warm. If you don't have a spare tank, use a 5gal bucket (I do it every now and then when I have a fry in my quarantine/nursery)

I'd definitely keep that fish in a quarantine tank with a heater and preferably an established filter, but an air stone will work with frequent water changes. It sounds and looks like the lumps could end up becoming open wounds, so I would have a fish antibiotic on hand to ward off secondary infections.

Do as the article said, find a med with Acriflavan in it and treat the fish. Keep water quality high and the quarantine tank (or bucket) warm. If you don't have a spare tank, use a 5gal bucket (I do it every now and then when I have a fry in my quarantine/nursery)

Greatly appreciate your response. He is still in quarantine and we're hoping that it was caught early enough to prevent an epidemic.

As of today he appears to have more cysts/lumps, which remain convex in shape. He still swims normally and isn't lethargic, simplified food so unable to determine exactly how many flakes he ate, but did see him eating.

Will continue to monitor and update, both for personal education, and hopefully to help someone in the future.

Still at a loss as to potential causes, water is near ideal, food is provided regularly and are quality products. I understand that bacteria are a constant in the tank, I didn't see any open wounds or damage that would have allowed for easy entry into his system.

Hoping for a positive outcome.

Most reactions

Back