Sick swordtail?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cool_jool

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:sad: I have a female swordtail who looks sick. I think she is being bullied by my 'algea eater'. She does not look like she has fin rot, but her fin at the top has a split in it. She looks thin and languishes at the surface looking sad until disturbed then she races off at a pace.
Obviously I am new to fish keeping, but have had the fish for four months.

Can anybody help?

is their any way you can seperate the female sword the alge eaters sometimes get aggressive as they are often terratorial and need a large footprint. one way to help the fish would be to take it to the lfs and see if they will take it or you could temporarily seperate her into a breeding trap untill she gets better while getting a peice of bogwood for the elge eater to hide under or perhaps a tunnel made from rocks or something. tho it takes a while for fish to get used to things like hiding place so some kind of seperation may be the key to the fishes survival short term.

:) Hi thanks for the reply. I have had a piece of bogwood and a rock from the start. I will try separation to see if she gets stronger. The tank is quite small - as I am a beginner - could the algae eater have grown too 'big'? cool_jool

alge eaters can get quite large and size is an aspect of agressive behavior how big is the tank in inches? it also depends slightly on the type of alge eater im thinking its prolly something like a chnese alge eater tho it might be a plec and those get big well not all of them but many of them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back