Sick Silver Shark

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

U-CAN-U

Reaction score
I set up a new 190 litre tank about 8 months ago. Initially only had a few guppies and a couple of small cat fish. Everything was fine, so introduced more fish over a period of several weeks including 4 silver sharks because theylooked so good. The guppies were breeding like mad. Th mollies did likewise and I thought I had cracked it, but after a couple of months one or two guppies diedfor no apparent reason. I had the water stats check at the local aquarium shop and everything was spot on. No more fry appeared!! Then about a week ago one of the shark which had grown to about 4 inches developed red patches near its pectoral fins and on the underside - looked like blood but no wounds or swelling or anything. Today it died and its friends appear to be lethargic and one has similar red marks. I can't discover what the problem is. They have stopped being active and hang in the water with their heads down and have stopped eating.

Is there anything I can do before it's too late? Any help or advice would be great.
U-CAN-U

I would get your water tested again at the lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you.
I would strongly suggest investing in some liquid test kits of your own.

Bala sharks need large tanks of about 90 gallons.
Sound like the red patches are septicmia which is hard to cure once is advances.

I would get your water tested again at the lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you.
I would strongly suggest investing in some liquid test kits of your own.

Bala sharks need large tanks of about 90 gallons.
Sound like the red patches are septicmia which is hard to cure once is advances.

Thanks for a quick reply - I've just bought a water testing kit online - should arrive in a couple of days.

You need to add a bacterial med to the tank.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Septicemia caused by bad water quality, dirty tanks, parasites, bacteria gaining entry through cuts and wound.
Also fish that have septicemia the bacteria can leak into the tank causing other fish to get infected, so I would add a bacterial med.

Try doing a 50% water change and gravel clean the tank each day for a week. Most health problems, including bacterial infections are associated with a build up of gunk in the water. This encourages disease organisms to thrive and the fish become run down and infected.
Also check and clean the filter if it hasn't been cleaned in the last month. Make sure you wash any filter materials out in a bucket of tank water.

Cut back on feeding until the fish are better. Fish won't eat when they are sick and if you put food into the tank and it doesn't get eaten, it will only make the problem worse.

Septicemia

Symptoms:

Fish may have reddening at fin bases, blood streaks throughout the fins and body, small hemorrhages around the eyes. Dull listless behavior and lack of appetite may also be present.

Cause:

Systemic bacterial infection caused by various bacteria, including Aeromonas, Pseudomonas and Vibrio. The illness is often brought on by poor water quality or as a result of parasitic infestations or other infections. These bacteria enter the blood stream and circulate through the tissues causing inflammation and damage. Inflamed blood vessels in the skin and at fin bases stand out. Blood vessel and heart tissue damage cause hemorrhaging and consequently leakage of body fluids into the abdomen, which may lead to Dropsy.

Treatment:

Water conditions must be improved for all fish in the tank, regardless of how many fish are infected. Check your water’s Treat with Kanacyn or Tetracycline as well as with a medicated food if the fish will eat. If parasites are suspected, all the fish in the tank should be treated with antiparasitic medication. Using salt to help restore osmotic balance might be helpful.

Many thanks for your advice - I'll get on it right away. I'm very fond of the sharks and don't want to lose them.
:good:

I set up a new 190 litre tank about 8 months ago. Initially only had a few guppies and a couple of small cat fish. Everything was fine, so introduced more fish over a period of several weeks including 4 silver sharks because theylooked so good. The guppies were breeding like mad. Th mollies did likewise and I thought I had cracked it, but after a couple of months one or two guppies diedfor no apparent reason. I had the water stats check at the local aquarium shop and everything was spot on. No more fry appeared!! Then about a week ago one of the shark which had grown to about 4 inches developed red patches near its pectoral fins and on the underside - looked like blood but no wounds or swelling or anything. Today it died and its friends appear to be lethargic and one has similar red marks. I can't discover what the problem is. They have stopped being active and hang in the water with their heads down and have stopped eating.

Is there anything I can do before it's too late? Any help or advice would be great.
U-CAN-U

Usually, 4 silver sharks need at least 125 gallons of water.

I checked EVERYWHERE online and it says you definantly need at least 125 gallons of water, because they love lots of room to swim around.

Yes, the bala sharks do need a much bigger tank; my mum has some in a 5x2x2', and that's the absolute minimum.

Some big water changes and a larger tank (or re-homing them) is the best way forward atm; good, clean water can cure a lot of ills (although not a too-small-tank, unfortunately)

Lovely bit of dead thread revival! Ive seen a few newbies do it recently.

I suppose it a good sign if people are digging this far back in their research.....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back