Sick Silver Dollar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jabba

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have aquired a large tropical aquarium, fully equipped and complete with occupants ... one of whom seems to be very unwell.

It is I am sure a Silver Dollar but his fins are in bad shape, his tail is almost completely gone at the top, his top (dorsal I think) is also not complete and is showing white 'flecks toward the outer edges.

His pectoral fins - the little ones at the front are almost completely gone....

He has also gone from silver to almost green / dull grey in colour

I have read that stress can cause this kind of thing - would the disruption of routine and mass furniture / box moving cause this?

What can I do for this guy ... ?

What are your stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.
How many gallons or litres is the tank, full stock list of how many fish and which type.
He sound in really bad shape and with the amount of fins he lost i doubt he will make it.
Is he laboured brething, the fins you will need a bacterial med.

The white flecks do they look fluffy.

What are your stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.
How many gallons or litres is the tank, full stock list of how many fish and which type.
He sound in really bad shape and with the amount of fins he lost i doubt he will make it.
Is he laboured brething, the fins you will need a bacterial med.

The white flecks do they look fluffy.

Wish I knew the answers to the ammonia etc etc ... I recently acquired the tank as part of a house move ... I know jack - see my post in the beginners section.

Tank I worked out is 25 gallons ...

There are three or four neon tetras, what I have now identified as a couple of platy's (orange with black tails), one that looks like a platy except it is much bigger (3cm) and is all orange, and what looks like a pair of African tiger fish - similar size to the platy (2cm) - although I am far from expert.

All the vegetation appears to be plastic, algae grows everywhere for fun ....

The white flecks don't look fluffy, he doesn't seem to be laboured breathing but seems to swim at an angle all the time and stick to one place in the tank all the time by the gravel filter pump head ...

I just wish I could do more but right now my knowledge is so limited.

All you can do for him is try a bacterial med good luck.

Don't know your location so it hard to say which med, most of them are ok, find sometimes they can sligthly knock the bacteria colony in the filter, but nothing to drastic.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back