Sick Rabbit Snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hutch-snail

Reaction score
I bought two yellow rabbit snails about a week ago to place in my community tank with some nerite snails, danios and platys. The tank sits at about 25 degrees c which I know might be a touch low for these snails but I don't want to cook the other tank residents either.

One snail is doing perfectly well and hops around the tank happily. The other seemed fine for a day or so but now hasn't properly come out of its shell or moved around properly for about 3 or 4 days now and I'm really worried. I have been placing a bit of an algae tablet near him in case he needs food. I did notice at the pet store that the salesperson had to pull him off the glass when I bought him so maybe he was injured by being forcibly pulled off the glass?

I've never had a rabbit snail before but just judging by how the other one is behaving I'm guessing it isn't normal or good that he is so inactive. He comes half out and then retreats again occasionally but sometimes he is pulled so far into the shell you would think it's empty. He does some half out sometimes to the point where I can see the end of his mouth and a tentacle end but nothing more than that. Could he have just been a bit injured by the rough handling at the pet shop and now be recovering or is he likely to be very sick? I've gotten really attached to them already and I'd be horrified if he had been injured by the rough handling!

I would be so grateful for any advice! Even if it's just to say this is normal, it would give me peace of mind, and if he is in a bad way, i'd like to know if there's any way to help him. I've just set up a quarantine tank recently - would it be good to put him in there to sort himself out for a bit alone?

Snails are quite sensitive creatures if he was mine I would return him back to the shop and explain what is happening and ask if they would replace him if they can, I don't think there is much you can do otherwise it does sound like he is on the way out I'm afraid 
sad.png

Thanks for the advice. I think he may have died unfortunately - not seen any movement for over 24hrs so I might go back to the shop and see what they will do like you suggested. How long do you leave a non-moving snail in the tank before you decide for sure they are dead and take them out?
Thanks again.

Dead snails tend to very quickly go off, which can cause a spike in your ammonia so I would do some water tests to ensure everything is still ok.
Do you have a fry saver? The clear plastic ones meant to separate baby guppies from their mother would be best, since the trap/saver floats. You could put the snail in this type of set up floating in the tank so then you can easily see if its still alive but just sulking. These traps also have slits in the bottom to allow water movement through the trap so the water wont foul inside.
I think rabbit snails may have a trapdoor system if disturbed so just removing the snail from the water and looking inside the shell wont really tell you if its alive or not.

Another option would be to remove the snail and smell the shell the opening of the shell, if the snail is alive there should not be any real stink, if however the snail is dead then your nose will confirm it because the smell will be pretty ripe.

Ooh, ok thanks. I was worried about it being a pollutant so I'll definitely do the smell test. I don't have a fry saver and can't see it getting much use in the future so I'll just go with the simple methods.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back