Sick Neon Tetra?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

TaurineLittle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys so over the past few weeks I've noticed that one of my neon tetras has gone very paleĀ seems to really dislike my other neons, always isolating himself and not eating as much as the others. I'll include a full description and as much information as I can provide below.
Ā 
Other fish:
5 male and sexually frustrated guppies
5 neon tetras (one is now in another tank)
3 red cherry shrimp
1 Pleco (PterygoplichthysĀ parnaibae)
Ā 
Tank size: 40L
pH: 7.0
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: Not sure, but have a heavily planted tank and no issues until now.
kH: Unknown
gH: Unknown
tank temp: 28C had a heat wave in Australia recently.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Very pale, constant isolation, the blue stripe is still there, whole fish is pale, seems to have a small brown spot on its forehead (just above its eyes), a white patch in the middle of the red stripe on it's side and now the red stripe is almost gone on both sides (after removing him from the tank). Once I removed him from my community tank another neon tetra decided to take his hiding spot but comes back out every now and then.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: I do a 20 - 30% water change every 2-3 days

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: My filtration is coarse sponge, micro filter and activated carbon and bio ceramic discs. No other chemicalĀ additives other than 'Ph down'Ā 
by API, 'plant food' by Aqua Master, and Prime.
Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Tank has been set up for a few months with no additions after the neons went in and haven't had a problem with any other fish or shrimp before hand.

Exposure to chemicals: Non other than the ones listed above.

Digital photo (include if possible): unable to get a decent photo that depicts the symptoms. Managed to find a picture of someone elses neon tetra that shows the exact same signs that mine does...
9ucl93.jpg

Ā 
Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Perhaps it's stressed? Has it been eating? Has it been swimming away from the others? Does it seem lethargic?Ā 

Yeah it tries to eat, after separating it for 2 days it regained a bit of its colour and so I put it back in the community tank and seems to be doing a fair bit better. Its more active now but seems to be getting bulled by one or two of the other neons, at least he isn't hiding though. So it looks like he has mostly recovered from what ever was bothering him, but he still has that white patch on the side of his tail (on the red strip) does anyone know what the white patch is? If their neon has had one, did it cause any negative affects?
My neons don't seem to school much anyway so they all kind of swim alone every now and then, I might be getting 2 or 3 more neons when i get my 15gallon up and cycled...

Sounds like Neon Tetra Disease to me. Worth a google to see if that fits what you can see.

I've only had those patches with NTD, not experienced any other reason for it on neons.

Yeah, I've had a look into it but he doesn't show any of the other symptoms. He is now schooling quite well with the other neons and quite lively and eating well... One thing I have noticed is that the white patch is now a bit more defined and its now raised a little, could this be a parasite or an infection or some sort?Ā 
Ā 
Could it be ich?

Ich would be like salt sprinkled over the fish, if its just a concentrated patch it most likely is not. Like Prairie says it seems to look and sound like NTD. I truly hope it isn't though :(Ā 
Ā 
Best of luck!

Nah it's just one concentrated white, slightly raised spot on the red part of his tail, so I guess that eliminates theĀ possibilityĀ of it being Ich. I actually got around to taking him to my LFS Ā and he thinks its just a fungal problem, so I picked up some 'Wardley - Fungus-Ade' and half dosed it. It apparently takes roughly 4 doses to eliminate the fungus, fingers crossed that it goes away soon.
Thanks Timberbatch, I hope it isn't either. I'll be reporting back to let you know the progress of the medication.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back