Sick Looking Pearl Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mbeer21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just noticed recently that one of my Pearl Gourami is looking really ill.  I have a male and two females, but I honestly can't tell which the sick one is, as I've always had trouble telling them apart.  I THINK it's the male.  He is very, very thin.  He's still actively swimming with all the other fish (maybe slightly lethargically), and still eating enthusiastically.  My two other Pearls are both fat and healthy looking.  I've never had a problem with bullying in the tank, he doesn't seem like he's being pestered or stressed.  He does have some stringy white poo coming out of him in the photo - but the first half of the 'string' was a normal solid green.  Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with him?  I'm going away for a week soon, I"m worried he might die while I'm gone.

I've had the male for 2 and a half years, the females for over 1 year.  
No new additions to the tank for around 9 months.
 All other fish are fine.  
130L tank, established over 2.5 years, ammonia 0ppm   nitrite 0ppm   nitrate 40-80ppm

Here's a photo of him, and one of the healthy Pearls as comparison 

bg7pd.jpg

Nitrates are a bit high, what is your ph?

He certainly doesn't look very healthy, his fins are clamped and he's quite pale.

Stringy poo is normally a sign of internal parasites. 
It would be best for you to treat him with some internal parasite medication, such as praziquantel, and see if he makes any improvement.

Tank is due for it's clean/water change tomorrow, so that should lower the nitrates.  I can test it again afterwards.  PH is a bit hard to tell - my best guess was 7.4/5

Is it possible to safely treat the whole tank to treat him for parasites?  I don't have a smaller tank to transfer him into for treatment...

His poo this morning was a normal colour, so perhaps it isn't a parasite? 

Yes, parasites are best treated as a tank.

Keep monitoring him for further signs of parasites. It may pay to have the praziquantel in the cupboard just in case.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back