Sick fish. Everything is dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kimmel2trill

Reaction score
0215172232a.jpg
I have a 55 gal. Planted tank. Good setup I like to think I know how,to do it.
Just transitioned from getting rid of ebjd and starting a new community tank. I introduced a lot of new small fish and didn't quarantine.
Does anyone know what this might be [pic]. I have lost over 20 fish to this.
Starts by losing colors and acts like they have something on them shooting at the tank walls crazy. One by one. Then slows down and kinda acts like swimmer bladder. Then just dies. Really could use suggestions.
I have currently just started general cure api but don't have a sick tank.
Started: 14 rummynose:1 left
9 cloud white: 8 left
15 cardinals: 2 left
3 small clown loach: 0 left
4 roseline shark: 4 left
1 com.pleco:1 left

View attachment 82766 I have a 55 gal. Planted tank. Good setup I like to think I know how,to do it.
Just transitioned from getting rid of ebjd and starting a new community tank. I introduced a lot of new small fish and didn't quarantine.
Does anyone know what this might be [pic]. I have lost over 20 fish to this.
Starts by losing colors and acts like they have something on them shooting at the tank walls crazy. One by one. Then slows down and kinda acts like swimmer bladder. Then just dies. Really could use suggestions.
I have currently just started general cure api but don't have a sick tank.
Started: 14 rummynose:1 left
9 cloud white: 8 left
15 cardinals: 2 left
3 small clown loach: 0 left
4 roseline shark: 4 left
1 com.pleco:1 left
Forgot to mention 5 hatchet: 3 left

I'm not going to guess at disease, but other members will need more data to help you. What is the GH, KH and pH of your source water? What is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate of the tank water? And what was "ebjd"?

I'm not going to guess at disease, but other members will need more data to help you. What is the GH, KH and pH of your source water? What is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate of the tank water? And what was "ebjd"?

Hey Byron, here are the parameters from tap
Ph7.6
Kh 150ish
Gh 180ish
I use just prime for conditioning it.
Sorry about the shortened ebjd, is electric blue jack Dempsey. I was just getting across that my experience in community tank was limited.

When ever I did water change I added more plants and I have black slate that has been in the same spot awhile when I moved it; now has like a brown rust look on the side that was actually in the gravel bed before. Could this be bad I would assume not I did a vinager test cleared. But d
Hardly test for kh gh what significance could this have maybe?

Again, I am not going to try to diagnose disease, like that reddish patch on the Roseline in the photo. The data will help others though. I don't see too much in the GH, KH and pH, though you have some very soft water fish (rummynose, cardinal) and I've no idea how they were acclimated.

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were not mentioned though, and this could be relevant. With live plants I would not expect ammonia/nitrite issues, with relatively few fish in a 55g. But it is worth having these numbers.

Did you thoroughly clean the tank after the Jack Dempsey was removed? Stirring up the substrate by moving rock and such might have messed up the filter bed (the substrate is your prime filter bed for many species of bacteria beyond nitrifying) and caused ammonia/nitrite spikes the plants couldn't quickly handle, or anaerobic and nitrogen gas pockets.

I'll mention a couple things on the fish species for the future. This tank is much too small for clown loaches, so I would not replace those; they must have a group of at least five, and they can attain 12 inches and like to swim around.

If the 4 Roselines (Sahyadria denisonii) make it, you should add another four. This shoaling species prefers a few more in the group, and eight is the recommended minimum; with fewer they usually develop increased aggressive behaviours but 8+ tends to prevent serious issues. They attain 6 inches, and they may eat smaller fish, so the cardinals, rummys, whiteclouds and similar species would not be good here.

The whiteclouds also prefer cooler water than some of the others, which require warmer. Keep temperature in mind when selecting species. Temperature is what drives the metabolism of a fish, so it is very important, and even a couple degrees can make a huge difference to the fish's health.

Byron.

It was cleaned after the ebjd transfer I also took the old wood out to run freshwater over it in the sink to get off any softer parts and vacuumed up a lot of color out of the substrate from it. But 12 hours after general cure additions from api no losses, it seemed to have slowed whatever it may be down. So far. I do seem to have high nitrates maybe my bioload wasn't strong enough for so many fish in 3 days, but I never gained any ammonia or nitrite. Not sure.
Continuing 20 gal water change now. Or should I wait the 48 hours for the medicine to work its course before changing water?

I am noting the clown loaches won't be replaced they were there only for my random snail infestation.
And I keep the sharks small due to the other small guys but ill have grow out tank for them and the pleco has to go he is getting 4 or 5 inches.

General cure is often used for parasites, but I think it also treats secondary bacterial infection. I don't know much about your problem but it almost sounds like a bacterial infection. Continue with the general cure and hopefully that takes care of things. Keep up on water changes after the treatment is complete to make sure there isn't a re-occurrence.

a water change might mess up the bio if I'm not mistaken try adding a tiny 5 gallon fliter and add some azoo anti bacteria tabs and start your fishes treatment u might want to check the temperature because bacteria fungus and other types of diseases tend to develop faster in cold water

u might want to check the temperature because bacteria fungus and other types of diseases tend to develop faster in cold water

Sorry, this is simply not true. Bacterias will develop in cold water but certainly not faster, warmer water will develope bacterias MUCH quicker than in cold water.

Though if in extreme hot water then this may actually kill bacteria but at that sort of temperature level, means will also kill off most other living things.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back