Sick Bubble-Eye Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_food

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My bubble-eye goldfish has two red, slightly swollen rashes on it's left side, accompanied by faint red streaking in it's tail for over a month now.  I have treated with the human antibiotics amoxicilliand cephalexin separately for around a week each, which caused some white flakes (possibly skin?) and 2-3 scales to come off and the swelling to reduce slightly.  The scales did grow back, albeit slightly misshapen, however the red spots still remain and are getting larger.

I am currently using a medication recommended by a friend called F1 formulated, which gives the water a greenish tinge which may have affected tank readings.  I haven't seen any notable improvements from it however. I also wasn't able to find a nitrite/nitrate or water hardness testing kit at my local aquarium, so I regrettably have had to leave them blank.

Apologies for the bad image and reflection, I don't actually have three fish. 
rolleyes.gif

Tank size: 25L
pH: 7.6+
Ammonia: 2ppm
Tank temp: 24oC

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Two red, slightly swollen lesions on left side and slight red streaking in tail.  Fish is sitting on the bottom looking lethargic but still feeding.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
10-15% water change every 24hrs (while siphoning out waste and leftover food)
100% water change every week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Previously dosed with amoxicillin and cephalexin (at separate times).  Recently have added F1 Medicine Formulated to the water.

Tank inhabitants:
4 months ago it used to live in a tank with 5 other goldfish (lion heads), but it has since been isolated.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
Tank is empty save for a filter and a water heater.

Exposure to chemicals:
Other than the antibiotics and the medicine, I haven't added anything else to the water.

There aren't any fish vets in my area, so I'm a loss as to what to do.  Thankyou for any help.

The problems you're seeing are almost certainly caused by the high ammonia. Anything over 0.25ppm can cause serious health problems in fish.

You need to do lots of big water changes to get that ammonia down, and keep it down. Your fish should recover just fine, once the water quality is improved, although exposure to ammonia can cause long term health issues.

Longer term, I'm afraid your tank is far too small for goldfish; the minimum recommended tank size for a single fancy goldfish (the common types really need to be in ponds) is a 100l, with an extra 40l for each additional fish.

The sooner you can get your fish into bigger tank, the better, as the ammonia will be diluted by the extra volume of water.

Thanks for the reply, how fast should I change the water and by how many percent?
Should I stop whatever treatment I am doing?  I'm worried that if I stop it, it might get worse.
I'm planning to move it into a bigger tank soon or move him into the pond with my other goldfish, but I'm not sure whether it would affect them.

As long as the new water is temperature matched and dechlorinated, you can change as much water as you like. I'd suggest you start by draining the tank right down, leaving just enough water for the fish to swim upright, before refilling.

Leave that to settle for an hour or so, then retest; if you're still reading any ammonia, you'll need to do another change. Keep on that way until you're seeing zero. You'll need to be testing (and probably water changing) at least once a day, but twice would be better.

I would stop all medication, except for the water changes. The red patches on the fish are ammonia burns; good clean water, and plenty of it, will be the best treatment right now
smile.png

Just did a water change, and discovered that the rainwater I had been using for changes was contaminated with ammonia to begin with.  Hopefully dechlorinated tap water won't have that issue.  Thanks for all the help so far!

I moved him to a 100L tank and his red patches have faded although he has stopped eating. Ammonia levels are down to 0.25 ppm but still not zero. Should I continue doing 20% water changes every day?

A week has passed and the patches have almost completely cleared up.  He's swimming around and eating fine now.  Thanks for the advice fluttermoth!

You're very welcome, I'm glad fishy is doing so much better, that's great to hear
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back