Sick Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nay_britt

Reaction score
My 6 year old's "Purple Pinecone" developed a growth/lesion on his head recently. I first noticed it 4 days ago. I thought it was ich so I bought Ick Guard and saw no change after two treatments. I've been doing partial water changed every 1-2 days. He also now looks swollen under his gills. Yesterday I added aquarium salt and Betta Fix. More swelling. His behavior and appetite seem normal. Opinions on what this could be?

Attachments

• IMG_8977.JPG
    IMG_8977.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9069.jpg
    IMG_9069.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 73
The bump on his head looks like he just bumped it on something and scraped a bit of skin off. What were the ingredients in the ick guard? Some ick meds will kill the biological bacteria in the filter, killing your cycle. You might have to re-cycle his tank.

Despite the name, betta fix isn't a great med to use for bettas. It is basically watered down Melafix which contains an oil that coats the breathing organs bettas and gourami, inhibiting the ability to breath air properly. I would stop using it.

I don't see much swelling on his gills but he does look pretty fat around the belly.

As for salt, use it sparingly. I say give it time and water changes. If you can, maybe even raise the temp of his tank to 80 to speed healing.

Over all, he looks pretty healthy and alert. If his behavior changes then you should be more worried.

Hi
I agree with Demeter.

Betta Fix.
This stuff is garbage and that's where it belongs, it fixes nothing.

The Ick Guard contains Victoria green and nitromersol. I will discontinue the additives and I bought a heater for the tank so hopefully that works. Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back