The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zzoee

Reaction score
My betta has been acting strange lately. He has been floating at the bottom of his bowl, not moving very much. He has also gotten way more pale and his fins have sort of clumped together...
I went on 3 day vacation, and wasn't able to feed or change his water during that time. Before I left, I read that bettas could live up to two weeks without food, and I did a 100% water change. 

Really worried, and any advice or questions to further the diagnosis would be extremely helpful.

This is my first betta, and I don't know very much.
Have had him for about 3 months.
Thank you!

I imagine he is dealing with lots of ammonia and possibly nitrite. Do you have a test kit? If so, what are the water parameters?

If not I would get a liquid one (such as API) as well as a 2.5g (preferably 5g or more though) tank and heater and cycle it following THIS while doing daily water changes on his bowl.
You will need ammonia which you should be able to find at Ace Hardware. You may want to read THIS as well.

If you can get a picture of him that would be great, you can upload it by going to 'More Reply Options' at the bottom and attaching file or you can upload it to a photo sharing website such as photobucket and link here. :)

What size is your bowl?  For a temporary measure, a bigger container is better as more water means it takes longer for ammonia to build up... if you currently have him in a small bowl this could help make maintenance easier.

Ultimately, what he needs a tank of at least 5 gallons (10 is better) with a heater and gentle filter.  (and follow the links from the post above).

Most reactions

Back