Sick Bala Sharks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ryanpeter

Reaction score
I have 3 bala sharks in a 4 by 2 foot tank, Last night one of them started acting crazy swimming into things and jumping out of the water and then began swimming upside down, this morning it died, I assumed that it was just a random thing as I have not previously had any problems however I did a water change and added conditioner to the tap water that i replaced. This evening I have noticed that my other 2 bala sharks began acting in the same way - swimming into things and jumping out of the water, and I have noticed that some of their scales are falling off now. There are no spots or any other signs that relate to any diseases that I have looked at, however one of the two's eyes have gone cloudy and he has began to swim upside down. Also the other fish seem fine, although fairly quiet because I think my sharks are bothering them. Is there anything I can do to treat them or save the other one before he does the same thing I have tried putting in stress coat and have checked them regularly, and I am sure that no other fish would attack them as I have only got Clown Loaches, plecos and was planning on getting some others as I have recently changed from keeping malawi cichlids - which I now have in a new 6ft tank and nothing new has gone in?
The pH of the water is 6.5
Temperature of 26 C
Chlorine is at 0.2 ish
NO3 is at about 50
NO2 is a bit above 1 and less than 5 (2or3 i think)
GH is 16
KH is 3
PH 6.8

Thanks for any help that anyone may give.

I was always told/thought never keep more than one shark in beside each other as they will all fight till death?

I was always told/thought never keep more than one shark in beside each other as they will all fight till death?
Im pretty sure that Silver/Bala sharks are meant to be kept in shoals of like 3 or more, and I know I have never had any problems with them fighting, in fact they all swam around together.

W8tson; that's red tailed black or rainbow sharks you're thinking of, not these; bala sharks are a shoaling fish.

OP; you need to being doing some water changes to get the nitrites down; that could be your problem. Bala sharks can be quite delicate fish which may be why your other fish aren't showing any symptoms.

W8tson; that's red tailed black or rainbow sharks you're thinking of, not these; bala sharks are a shoaling fish.

OP; you need to being doing some water changes to get the nitrites down; that could be your problem. Bala sharks can be quite delicate fish which may be why your other fish aren't showing any symptoms.

Would this cause the bala sharks that I have to swim into things and swim upside down because at the moment that is my concern as they look very poorly? Also I did do a water change earlier and yet the nitrites are still high, so would I be ok doing another water change?

It might well cause them to do that, yes. It will be making them feel sick, and they may be trying to 'escape' from it by jumping.
It's honestly ok to do as many water changes as needed to get the nitrites down, as long as you dechlorinate and match the temperature.

Your tanks overstocked and your water stats are telling you that.
You need to reduce your stocking.
Clown loaches, bala sharks need 90 gallon tanks.

Bad water quality symtoms are darting, loss of scales, looking pale, gasping, laboured breathing, flicking and rubbing, red gills, purple gills, turning upside down, sores, red streaking.

Immediate water change and increase aeration.

sounds like your using test strips
are you they a very inaccurate
liquid test kits are better
noticed in your post that
you have a chlorine reading
do you use a dechlorinator
also your nitrites need to be
lowered by water changes

I am using test strips yes, and I have done water changes, I took my water to be tested this morning and they said that nothing was wrong with it and everything was fine however they did suggest stress coat - which I have been adding, when I got home one of the sharks had died but the other seems ok now so I am hoping that everything else will be fine.
Thanks for all help with the issue

The symtoms are pointing towards anything from bad water quality, swim bladder, bacterial, parasites.

Keep preforming water changes.
Do the fish look bloated.
Have the scales been knocked off on ornaments in the tank.
Check to see if you can see lifted scales on the fish, also check there nothing beneath them.
Any red sores, or red pin prick marks on the fish body.
Do the gills look red and inflamed.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Do the fish swim in a jerky movement.
Is there a greyish white film on the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back