The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LaurenRhiain

Reaction score
I recently purchased a male kribensis cichlid and today I noticed he was pecking at my Siamese Fighter's fins! The person at the shop said that the two would be fine in the same tank although this is clearly not right. Since I only have the one tank I was wondering what I should do..
Would my Krib calm down if I got him a female and would adding more plants to the tank work at all? Please help!

Unfortunately you have two fish with two problems - kribs can be very territorial (especially when in a pair, so adding a female won't help) and siamese fighters aren't very good community fish.

Sadly the only real options are to take one of the fish back to the shop, or buy a second tank.

Two lessons to learn here - firstly, do your research before you buy a fish, and secondly, never just believe what the person in the shop says.

I would say that this is a BAD mix.

I'd suggest you return one or the other, or buy a 5 gallon tank for the betta.

Looks like my Cichlid is going back then, I love my fighter way too much, he's actually the most peaceful fish I have :) Thanks for your advice guys!

Sorry. In the future, don't trust the LFS. Do your own research ahead of time, and get as many opinions as possible. What works for one person in their tank may not work for someone else in theirs. Different sized tanks, decor, pH, lighting. There are a lot of factors to consider. Kribs and the rest of the African cichlids generally are best kept with other African cichlids.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back