Shubunkin Genders ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

theofficialjames

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to keeping fish and I have a few questions relating to shubunkin.

firstly how to I give them genders ?

secoundly how would i tell if there pregant ?

thanks

Firstly you don't give them genders :p. They are hard to sex; I did find a site on how to do it; I'll try and find it.

They don't get pregnant either; they are egg layers.

I think with goldfish the only way to sex them is to wait until they're breeding and the males develop little bump/spots on their gills.

And no you don't need anything for them to breed on/in. They scatter there eggs on the floor and plants. And often if you don't remove the parents very soon after spawning (or put ALOT of plants in) they will eat all the eggs before they have a chance to hatch.

Where are you keeping them? They rarely spawn in indoor tanks as often they don't have enough room.

Here is a picture guide to sexing...
http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/info/sexing-fs.htm

I think with goldfish the only way to sex them is to wait until they're breeding and the males develop little bump/spots on their gills.

I can't see the picture that curiosity posted. As was said males get bumps on their gills. Females get plumper around breading season (although I've never noticed it in mine).

If you look at their little bums (where they poo out of); if it looks hollow it's a male; if it sticks out a little (a small bump) it's a female (or so I read online and I tried to check it out with my fish and I think it's right).

Well it's that I can't see; blocked at work!

Ahhh I see. One sec I'll get a few examples from it.
Male tubercules
male_gill_tubercles1.jpg

Female vent
female_vent1.jpg

male vent
male_vent.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back