Shrimps and intake pipe

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Reseted up my tank, added a black background and glued java moss on the wood. Looks a lot better :) . First question I have is how can I send pictures here?

Main question I have is should I put something on my intake pipe if I plan to get dwarf shrimps? The strainer has small holes but wouldn't want to risk shrimp getting in the pipe if I plan on getting any. Could those sponge filter sponges help?

Are you unable to upload images to the website?
If yes, they are probably too big and you can remedy this by reducing the camera's resolution to 2MB and that will make the images small enough to fit on here.

A round sponge from an internal power filter should fit over the intake strainer and stop the shrimp being sucked up. :)

Thanks Colin
The smallest resolution option I have on my camera 13mp (4:3) and that doesn't work. Will look into the sponge filter. Just going to keep an eye out for any ammonia readings. Hopefully might get away as I put one of my established filter sponge in the tank plus been dosing stability for that added boost.

Was also wondering that I could get some fish and put them in the 28 litre whilst I wait about 2 weeks before I add more fish in the new tank.

My thoughts are on getting about 6 - 10 cardinal tetras, around 6 pseudomogil luminatous and 3 cherry and blue velvet shrimp. I'm thinking of returning my 5 zebra danios as they can eat the small shrimp so could add the cardinals in when I take out the danios so it doesn't disturb the bioload too much.

What sort of camera do you have that has 13MB as the smallest resolution :)

You could try to find an image editing software online and crop the images or resize them. Alternatively put them on a free image hosting website and put the link on here.

--------------------
If the 28 litre tank has an established filter you could put some fish in there and quarantine them for a month before adding them to the main display tank.

I wouldn't bother getting danios to keep with Pseudomugils or cardinal tetras. If you set the Pseudomugils up in their own tank they will breed and you can make a huge school of them or sell some of the young. If the adults are well fed and there are plants in the tank, they normally ignore the young.

What sort of camera do you have that has 13MB as the smallest resolution :)

You could try to find an image editing software online and crop the images or resize them. Alternatively put them on a free image hosting website and put the link on here.

--------------------
If the 28 litre tank has an established filter you could put some fish in there and quarantine them for a month before adding them to the main display tank.

I wouldn't bother getting danios to keep with Pseudomugils or cardinal tetras. If you set the Pseudomugils up in their own tank they will breed and you can make a huge school of them or sell some of the young. If the adults are well fed and there are plants in the tank, they normally ignore the young.

Main reason Im thinking of giving back the danios is because of the shrimps I'm planning on getting later. I once had a blue velvet shrimp which sadly got eaten by one of the danios I have now :sad:. I did have 2 cherries before but they disappeared. There were only two amano shrimps with them at the time so don't know.

Im not too sure if my mum will want my 28 litre running after I put all my fish in the new tank. Reason is the 28 litre was moved downstairs with the old cabinet whilst my room was getting redecorated
Only need to transfer the 2 amano shrimps.

Do you know of any good centre piece fish I could get? Something which is a big softy and won't eat small shrimps.

Upload the photos to imgur.com then paste the link here.

You could get this type of filter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C3NBF28/?tag=
The tube should fit over or into your filter inlet. I have two of these for 2 different filters, one fits over and one into. Added benefits are you can rinse the sponge at every water change and you will need to clean the actual filter less often.

Tip: Get 2. Then if you ever need to set up an emergency tank for quarantine / hospital / fry use the sponge from your main tank and replace it with the spare. That way you always have a cycled filter ready to go.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could get this type of filter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C3NBF28/?tag=
The tube should fit over or into your filter inlet. I have two of these for 2 different filters, one fits over and one into. Added benefits are you can rinse the sponge at every water change and you will need to clean the actual filter less often.

Tip: Get 2. Then if you ever need to set up an emergency tank for quarantine / hospital / fry use the sponge from your main tank and replace it with the spare. That way you always have a cycled filter ready to go.

Thanks for that seengee. So would the sponge fit onto the intake pipe or would I have to connect the whole thing on the intake pipe? Just asking as it would look a little odd if it's that I have to connect the whole piping on the intake and it has that bend in it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just measured one of the other intake strainers the tank came with and it's about 3mm long the holes and about 2 mm wide. Is that okay or is it safe to cover it with a sponge

Jehmco also has really nice, long inlet tubes and sponges that not only protect fry, snails, and shrimp, but basically turns the inlet tube into a good sized pre-filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back