Shrimp tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishboy0304

Reaction score
i have a 7 gallon tank that is going to house a colony of red cherry shrimp. I was wondering is there was anything else I could add that wouldn’t eat the shrimp?

Heres a comprehensive list of fish that wont eat shrimp.

1, Otto

No.

7 gallons is too small, they need a bigger tank.
Otos are shoaling fish that need to be kept in a group of at least 6.
A 7 gallon tank won't be able to grow enough algae to feed 6 otos and a group of shrimps. Otos can be very picky eaters. A lot of them will not touch anything but actual algae. These otos won't eat algae wafers or cucumber etc which other vegetarian fish will eat.

I wasn't suggesting Ottos, just saying they are the only shrimp safe fish.

Can I keep 1 or 2 mystery snails? I really love snails and have never kept my them

Is that with shrimps or on their own? Shrimp websites do not recommend keeping apple/mystery snails with shrimps because the snails will eat all the shrimps' food.

But keeping mystery snails on their own - details from http://applesnail.net/
Medium sized (2 inch) apple snails aka mystery snails need 2.5 gallons per snail.

if shrimp websites don't recommend snails because the snails get all the food, they are fools. Shrimp move a lot faster than any snail so if you put food in, the shrimp get it first. And if they have any other concerns, people keep shrimp and snails in marine tanks all the time so freshwater should not be an issue. :)

I have Mystery snails and Red Cherry shrimp in the same tank and its not an issue.
Is your water soft or hard? Mystery snails suffer shell erosion in softer water.

However.
Happy healthy well fed Mystery snails grow fast and grow big. I would only have 1 in the tank.
Image is not mine
rV1yr9i.jpg

The best you can do is to have a lot of hiding places (dense plants work well) so the shrimp can breed and grow to full size without being bothered by fish. Also stock the tank with small fish. The smaller the mouth of the fish the less likely it would bother a large breeding shrimp. And fish that mostly eat plants are uglily to bother the shrimp. Also making sure the fish are well fead would help prevent snacking.

Nerve snails work well with shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back