Shrimp lost eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is it normal for shrimps to drop or lose their eggs? Both my female cherries were berried but after about say a month they dont look to carry any now. One of my velvet blues which was carrying eggs since I bought her (about over a month now) looks to now looks to not be carrying eggs which hopefully means she gave birth.

It takes about 30 days (depending on water temperature) for the eggs to hatch. for Cherry's

Keep an eye out for baby shrimp, if you have fish in the tank which will eat them, then you might not see any

It takes about 30 days (depending on water temperature) for the eggs to hatch. for Cherry's

Keep an eye out for baby shrimp, if you have fish in the tank which will eat them, then you might not see any

Will keep my eyes open. If they did give birth hopefully they are hiding in the dark moss filled bits :)

I was quite convinced I had lost my first few. It was a few weeks before I started seeing shrimplets, and a few weeks later that I realised there were a lot of them that had survived.

I was quite convinced I had lost my first few. It was a few weeks before I started seeing shrimplets, and a few weeks later that I realised there were a lot of them that had survived.

I remember you saying. Hopefully that is the case. I first noticed one of the cherries carrying eggs on the 11th of November and it was about yesterday I noticed both aren't carrying any now. Is that the sort of time before they give birth? My velvet blue I noticed recently wasn't carrying its eggs several days ago and no her or the other blue female now is carrying eggs. It's so fascinating :lol:

I usually suck up baby shrimps during a water change so I always check the bucket before throwing the water away. My record is 32 in one bucket, but this was when I had them in a 50 litre tank with just pygmy cories and chili rasboras and lots of hiding places so the fish didn't eat many baby shrimps. Baby shrimps are very hard to see against the substrate so it is impossible to avoid them. When I had to close this small tank I moved over 90 shrimps into my larger tank. I don't suck up nearly so many shrimps in the larger tank, probably because there are fewer left after the fish have eaten most of them.
Searching the buckets of water is very time consuming as newly hatched shrimps are colourless and very small :D

To update I saw a baby shrimp. He was hiding under one of the rocks. Managed to see another one also. Still a little worried though about the two cherries that were berried as I don't know if I saw a egg or two on the substrate :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back