Shrimp in a Betta tank...?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

baz_78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cycling a new 5 gallon Fluval Chi for a Betta and was interested in adding some shrimp to the set-up in the future. What shrimp would be suitable for being tankmates with the Betta (if any) - it will be a planted tank.

If there are suitable options, what do I need to consider now for if/when I introduce the shrimp after several months? I'd rather make it suitable from the start than find a lot of what I plan now becomes unsuitable for shrimp later!!

Many thanks,
Barry

Most bettas will kill shrimps. You might, very occasionally, find one that doesn't, but that's really quite rare. It's unlikely to work in a small tank like a Chi.

I wouldn't recommend even trying it, tbh.

I'm in the process of cycling a new 5 gallon Fluval Chi for a Betta and was interested in adding some shrimp to the set-up in the future. What shrimp would be suitable for being tankmates with the Betta (if any) - it will be a planted tank.

If there are suitable options, what do I need to consider now for if/when I introduce the shrimp after several months? I'd rather make it suitable from the start than find a lot of what I plan now becomes unsuitable for shrimp later!!

Many thanks,
Barry

Hi!
My shrimps live fine with betta. Start with ghost ones, they are cheap and often ised as fish food, so if your betta eats them - well, that’s the life :)
You will love keeping shrimps, they are so fun to watch!

It may or may not work, Some Bettas are fine with adult shrimp some are not. Baby shrimp are usually on the menu.

I've a little male with a growing colony of cherries in a 3.4gal planted tank. All adults are accounted for and the little ones continue to grow but the betta's belly has never been bulging from feasting on the shrimplets. I've never once seen him go after a shrimp but who knows what's going one when I'm not looking.

That being said, I'm pretty sure if I tossed some shrimp into my other betta tanks they will be eaten.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back