Show Me Your Bettas!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scrage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
New to the forum. Posted here originally asking for some help with a filter and figured I'd check out the "introduce yourself" section.

My mom had a tank when we were younger and I remember her taking care of it all the time and letting us feed the fish, probably didn't truly like fish till I saved my betta from walmart. (Can't pass that section without wanting to buy another now =[ ....)

Had a Betta in a bowl for a year or so, but he is settling into a 25gal that I am in the process of cycling (waiting on nitrite drop). Seems to be doing fine and enjoys the space. Bought a plecos for the algae (ate nearly all of it off the walls in 4days).  I absolutely LOVE bettas and would love to see some pictures of the little guys while waiting for my other thread issue to be resolved.  Any other fish would be nice to see aswell.

Hi and welcome!
I'm happy that you are giving a good home to this Betta!
Most people think they can live in tiny cups and it makes me really sad!

Here is my Betta!
XVqpZ.png

Right now he is not feeling well tho, I am trying to figure out why he's had clamped fins..
I'll figure it out!

Awe poor baby, hope you figure it out soon! He has AMAZING colour, I simply love those red stripes he is rockin!

Awesome! 25g is huge for a betta. Make sure the filter flow is cranked down super low. And lot's of reading on these forums will certainly help you find some compatible tank-mates other than the pleco. My experience with even the smallest pleco in a tank that size is to change water like crazy in the beginning.... they make a lot of waste.

Here are a few of mine from the past (I dont have any bettas currently):

Filter is slow and steady, he seems comfortable enough. I was aiming for a 10gal but I got the 25gal, filter, heater, stand, and pump(bubbles) for about 10$. Couldn't pass that up! Those are some beautiful bettas! I've done some research on tankmates and I have a few little guys in mind that I will eventually invest in, but untill my tank is cycled I'm just sticking to the two I've got. Thanks for the advice aswell! I've been changing it a lot to deal with the nitrite spikes anyways, so I'm glad I practically had that covered. If you don't mind me asking, about how long did yours live? I've had my little guy for about a year now and I'm not sure how long they sit in those cups at walmart

:hi:

You have a beautiful betta!

What are the tank mates you're thinking of adding?

What type of pleco do you have?

Here is my boy Zeus, sorry for the bad pic.....

Common plecos.

was thinking of maybe frog or two, cories maybe? Don't want to much in there since I'd like for them to have plenty of room.

That betta has is beautiful! How long have you had him?

Thank you! I got him on the 13th of October, so I've had him for two months (wow, seems like I've had him forever!). I swear I will never get another long finned betta though, as I've had non stop problems with his tail :/ It keeps getting teared and i can't figure out what on. I think I'll stick with plakats for now on.

Are you aware that common plecos grow to over a foot long and require at least 200G tanks?

IMO the cories would be the best option, you could have a nice bigish school (15 or so) of pygmys.

I got hooked on the Betta craze when i joined this forum last mth or so and decided to do a research on them.. Finally got this beautiful(well, at least to me he is!) White Betta! He is now happily exploring my 10g tank! Sorry for the poor pics quality and bad camera angle!

Btw, his name is White Gown! :)

Attachments

• 20131130_181218-1.jpg
    20131130_181218-1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20131130_181209-1.jpg
    20131130_181209-1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 104
I would return the plecos, and bettas like living alone.

Maybe some otos catfish? They only thrive when you have algae, and live in groups. Dont do tetras, as they are fast swimmers and stress bettas, guppies, bwecause the betta is a ticking time bomb with long tailed fish, plecos get to big, cories need sand, etc.

Most fish you cant have with a betta as bettas are such an agressive fish.

If you have algae, then otos would be great! They thrive in groups of 6 or more, but caqn be hard to get to eat. The first few otos you get may die, but alot of them do as they get super stressed super easily. Just make sure they have a lot of algae to eat.

IMO, you could get about 8-9 otos comfortabley, but a more experienced member could give you an exact number.

The amount of otos depends on the other stocking. 
You need to wait until the tank is mature (after about 6 months) as otos are sensitive fish and are more likely to die in newly setup tanks.

Sand isn't that hard to have, I personally prefer the look of it over gravel. 

You could have....
1 betta
10-12 pygmy or habrosus corys.
7-8 otos.

You would be understocked, but that gives room for error and makes tank maintenance easier.

I have three Bettas - my first one was an orange veil tail who is not exactly the life and soul of the party, so he is called Mopey Dick. The next is Alpha, a blue veil tail with gorgeous turquoise fins (hard to tell in the picture tho
yay.gif
( )  He has developed a huge belly that I am trying to resolve with the Betta forum. He acts just as healthy as any Betta I've ever had so it's a bit of a mystery. The crowning glory of my trio is Phoenix, my blue and red crown tail. He was a Walmart rescue and he has so much spunk for such a little guy!

Attachments

• Alpha.JPG
    Alpha.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Mopey Dick.jpeg
    Mopey Dick.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Phoenix .JPG
    Phoenix .JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 132
It makes me so happy to see so many happy bettas on this post <3 They're just the bees knees, aren't they?

Here is my little fella, Nigel. I spend a lot of time watching him play in his tank, and it's helping me learn how to take better photos too.

1463602_10152245570561055_1419087830_n.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back