Should my Betta filter be off at night

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M00nshad0w

Reaction score
I just got a crowntail betta fish as have a one gallon tank. I heard before that filters can disturb fish at night and it makes them uncomfortable but I'm not quite sure I like white noise so the sound doesn't effect me I just want my new betta to be comfortable in his new home

Trust me, if you unplug the filter every night that betta will be much less comfortable than if you left it on, since the cycle will likely crash.

Just make sure the flow is low and there should be no issues. I’ve kept bettas for years and have always left their(and every other fish) filters on 24/7, aside from waterchanges. So long as the flow is good for the species they will be fine.

A filter must be run 24/7.

Could you get a larger tank for the betta? The minimum recommended size is 2.5 gallons, though most of us prefer a tank of at least 5 gallons. In a larger tank the filter would not be as much of a problem.

Hi,
I would suggest getting a larger tank as EssJay has also pointed out.
If you are worried about flow affecting the fish then in a larger tank you could probably get away with no filter.
I have kept Betta in a 10gal with just an air stone to circulate some water. the common misconception is bacteria only live in your filter but they are everywhere so you can run larger Betta tanks on just an air stone (for water movement) and good gravel cleaning and water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back