Should I Re-Home My Red-Tailed Shark?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AshleyNZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a 65L Aquarium, (17.2 Gallons).
It currently houses a lot of fish. I'm beginning to think about re-homing my Red-Tail Shark. I got him about a year ago, he is still perfectly healthy. He has a hide in the middle of the tank, which he usually darts out and chases fish away from his territory. I think it's the best option, as the fish can't really help being in his way, as he patrols the whole bottom of the tank. But also, a week ago, I put in a long airstone running along the back of the tank, just behind where the shark's den is. I've noticed he sometimes swims to the top and gets a bit of air. Ive noticed he's breathing a bit faster too. He still acts normal, chasing fish and cleaning the plastic plants in the tank. His colouring is fine. I just think its for the best :)

Comments appreciated.

:hi: to the forum.

What are all of the fish in the tank? With their numbers too please :)

It would be best for you to rehome your shark, sorry. The reason is because they need tanks of at least 50 gallons (200L).

Based on my personal experience with this species I always answer yes to this question. It's certainly what I had to do. I had the fish in a 50 gallon tank and that wasn't big enough for it to live well with others. It was the right thing to do for my tank and my own calmness to re-home the fish. I found a nice home for it with someone who had a much larger tank with more suitable tank-mates. It all worked out well. 

I have a big tank if u wish to re home him I know a fair bit bout these fellows where u based hopefully close lol that's if u decide too that is
Just read your location way to far for me lol

Thanks guys :) I will rehome him back to where I got him, ill exchange him for some guppies I hope. Thanks for all your help!

I have 2 Serpae tetra, 2 glowlight tetra, 2 neon tetra, 2 penguin tetra, 1 danio, 1 red neon, 1 balloon molly, 4 platties, 1 black widow, 1 tiger barb, 1 gourami, 2 bloodfins, 1 apple snail. Think thats it... the numbers have been alot higher than this before, as I buy lots when I get the chance to go to a pet store ( As the closest is over an hour away )

I'm really sorry, but your tank is very overstocked.

All of those fish (except the gourami, molly, platy and snail) need to be in a school of at least 6.

Along with the red tailed shark, I think you really need to consider rehoming some of your other fish.
The ones I would rehome are; the molly, danio, tiger barb, black widow, plus 4 of your least favourite tetra (keeping your favourite). You can then up the school of your chosen tetra (6+) and keep that with your platies, gourami and snail.
What species is the gourami?
What sex are the platies? If you don't know how, look for a gonopodium (google for pics).

Sorry if this seems really harsh.

Blondie is right. This tank is overstocked by a lot. The Red-Fin by nature is going to want to clear some space. I had two in a 55 gallon with basically nothing else and they fought constantly. They need the bottom to themselves. They are very agressive about space. A 17 gallon is never going to be sufficient. I would also take Blondies advice about rehoming some of the others and creating a school or shoal of something that you currently have. That will make your current tank dwellers more happy!

I have nowhere to rehome them to. All of the other fish are fine and get along really well. The Gourami is yellow. I don't have the money for a school of fish as they are very expensive fish, tiger barbs being about $6 each, Rummynoses $6, Neons $4, Guppies $10. Can't afford that, and they seem fine with their peers. As for the platties, I am uncertain of the sex, just brought them because I fancied their colourings. 

I must also say, I get my fish from a Mitre 10 ( A hardware store ) And they aren't very knowledgeable about fishkeeping. The most helpful thing they've told me is to remember to feed my snail. One thing ive remembered from somewhere is one litre of water per inch of fish... Im pretty certain im under that limit, as most fish are not even an inch long. Thanks for the help, keep it coming :) Advice is very helpful, as i'm not sure what I should do. 

everyone is right that tank is overstocked, that rule doesnt always apply prime example being a common pleco. that one fish alone can get to over a foot long and wound need more then 55 gallons all by him self.its very understandable as wanting lots of pretty fish but if you want to have lots of fish you need to meet all their requirements. currently i have a 65gal tank filled with 25 tiger barbs, 3 rainbow fish and my spotted sailfin pleco. I too have an over stocked tank although i am slightly compensating for the bio mass by running two external filters. the only real reason im considered over stocked is my pleco sets me off. the type i have will get to about 10 inches and is already about 7-8. im currently looking to build a new tank to properly house all my fish.

Yeah well when I had a pleco I measured him, he got to around 10cm before he died. Still under that rule's limits. :/

And as for the sex of the Platties, they all are male. They get along fine, never seen them hurt eachother. I've had two for a while and last week I got two more. They're fine together. 

Wow, I never realised mitre 10 sold fish :dunno:

Out of curiosity, where abouts in NZ are you?

Sorry, but you have that rule wrong, it is one inch of FULL GROWN fish per GALLON. If you were to follow that rule, you would only be able to have 15 inches of fish (2 inches/gallons taken off for your decorations and substrate) which you have exceeded. 
Also, I need to point out that the rule if flawed, for example, you can't have a 10 inch goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, its other flaw is that it really only applies to thin bodied fish under 3 inches.

Although the fish might seem happy to you, I can guarantee that they're not, after all, surviving is not thriving.

Why can't you rehome the fish to the same place as the red tailed shark?

There are many fish clubs in NZ, I'm sure there would be someone in your area willing to take them. 
Try to sell them on TradeMe maybe?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back