Sexing please?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NLindsey921

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are these both female? Both male? One female one male? Or are they still too little to tell.
1343a2a44f5063a0531574c4e6941ec7.jpg
269e6014deccead9d86d12252519b5c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Yay. How long do you think it will take them to mate? My gourami ate the others I think cause I cannot find them. I'm hoping they are just hiding somewhere.

You can tell when they mate by the greenish lumb underneath one of the shrimps tail. These are the eggs. Even if the do mate, I doubt the babies will live to maturity. Most shrimp (besides cherry shrimp) lay eggs. In your case, these shrimp lay eggs. Once the eggs hatch, they become a floating plankon that eat small debris and microorganisms. During this stage, the shrimp "fry" can be sucked up the filter, starved to death, or eaten by other fish. It is very unlikely that any of them will survive the planktonic stage, especially if you have fish. If you want to breed shrimp, I would recommend getting cherry shrimp.

I've already looked up how to breed these guys. They are snowball shrimp. Basically another color morph of the cherry shrimp. The babies are born as mini shrimpletts. Just nothing I read said anything about when they will mate.

She's already saddled, it should be soon.

I'd bet after her next molt

Oh ok! From the picture they look like ghost shrimp or small Amano shrimp. Signes of mating will be the female hiding out. She releases pheromones which tell the males that she is ready to mate. During this time you will see the males swimming around the water column looking for the female. Once the female is fertile, it will take 2 or 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch. Make sure you have plenty of hiding spaces for the babies. I assume you do after the research you have done. Good luck!

I have christmas moss and dwarf grass growing in. I also have some java fern plants that are growing in as well. Hopefully I get some decent growth in before she has the babies.

So the female has disappeared. Hopefully she is off molting and mating. And hasn't been eaten by Abaddon.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back