Sexing My German Blue Ram

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brahmza

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This was the first ram I purchased from my LFS. They told me it was most likely a female. After purchasing two more females and a male(or what I thought was a male), this 'female' changed completely. Colors in the face and fins turned orange, etc. Does it look like a male? The dorsal fin definitely looks like that of a males, but it's still young and a bit smaller than my others. Hard to see how red the face and fins are in the picture, I don't have the best camera. Thanks in advance!!
View attachment 68587

I would say this is a female. I've read that females will have a blue iridescence on their black spot, and the males do not. Females also have black on their pelvic fin and males do not. I have not kept them, but are very interested in getting a small group soon. B.c I haven't kept them, I can't be positive, Im sure someone on here can be more of a help, but here is a link :) http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php GL!!

black on pelvic fins.
body area where eggs are kept will be more pink.

looks to be female.

Yeah, I've read most of it all online, but mine the one in the picture doesn't have any black on the pectoral fins. It does have blue sheen in its spot, but not all the way across it. And it also has the high 3 dorsal fin spikes. The other 'male' I got from the LFS has no blue in its black spot, but it has black on its pectoral fin and it doesn't have the high spikes on the dorsal fin. So I'm not sure. The one in the picture is still quite young. I'm hoping it's a male because I don't want 4 females. Can't exactly breed without a male hah! Thanks for the help!

Females often have the three long dorsal fin rays.

The most reliable way of telling is to look at the dorsal and anal fins. In males they're longer, have more pointed rear ends and extend out past the caudal peduncle (that's the thin part of the body the tail grows from). in females they're shorter, rounded and stop before they reach the tail.

Yours looks female to me.

Yeah, I've read most of it all online, but mine the one in the picture doesn't have any black on the pectoral fins. It does have blue sheen in its spot, but not all the way across it. And it also has the high 3 dorsal fin spikes. The other 'male' I got from the LFS has no blue in its black spot, but it has black on its pectoral fin and it doesn't have the high spikes on the dorsal fin. So I'm not sure. The one in the picture is still quite young. I'm hoping it's a male because I don't want 4 females. Can't exactly breed without a male hah! Thanks for the help!

pelvic fin, not pectoral. The pelvic fin is the bottom fin closest to his head/face. Maybe bring one of your females back to the store and ask to trade for a male.

pelvic fin, not pectoral. The pelvic fin is the bottom fin closest to his head/face. Maybe bring one of your females back to the store and ask to trade for a male.

Yeah I mistyped. I'm just seeing a not of contradicting evidence of it being male more female. With my others as well. The male I bought from my LFS has black on the pelvic fins, but absolutely no blue sheen in its black spot, and no pink on its belly. I'm gonna give them a week or so to get fully adjusted and comfortable, then decide if I'm gonna buy more. Thanks!

I would think the pink on the belly and blue sheen on their black dot are more substantial than the black on the pelvic fin, but can't be sure. GL!

If you have a male with 3 females, I would think his colors would really deepen when you add (or he's added) to a tank with females.

Well, before I had the others, its colors were a bit dull, and after I added the 3 the fins turned red and so did the face, and the black stripes became very dark and the blue sheen showed very well, but they're a hit bigger than my original one. He's only around 1.5", the others at least 2", and one of them started to chase it away, possibly another male, and since then the colors have been more dull once again. But regardless, they're awesome fish, and if it turns out I have to buy another, no harm done!

Hmm... I would think that a female would show her colors against other females as well, idk. Everywhere that Ive read pretty much stated that blue on the black spot is a female. who knows
rolleyes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back