Sexing Help Pls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stevek77

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what sex these are pls as they are lip locking hopefully 1 of each?

SDC10763.jpg

SDC10770.jpg

lip locking about to start

SDC10742.jpg

1st is a female
2nd is a male

the guy at the lfs said he thought it was 1 of each but the female 1st one seems more dominant and is bigger she chases him around and her fins seem longer if that makes a diff?

looks like a male and female to me although clearer pictures would help
1st pic looks male
2nd pic looks female
3rd pic male left female right

i think your going to have to wait until they mature a bit more. the best way to sex them is by the trails on the dorsal and anal fins but they will need to grow a bit more and have no nippy tank mates.

they also look quite stressed out in the pics with quite faded and dark colours. is there a reason for this?

just for comparison here is a pic of 1 of my group of bolivians which is still too small to sex.
IMAG0218.jpg

i think your going to have to wait until they mature a bit more. the best way to sex them is by the trails on the dorsal and anal fins but they will need to grow a bit more and have no nippy tank mates.

they also look quite stressed out in the pics with quite faded and dark colours. is there a reason for this?

just for comparison here is a pic of 1 of my group of bolivians which is still too small to sex.
IMAG0218.jpg

hi the top picture the fish has tail trails and trail on the anal fin whereas the second picture fish has none but they both have high "3 point" dorsal fin,......

as for stressed they have only been in the tank for 2 days and they are always scrapping when they see each other :crazy:

the new pic posted by mattlee appears to be a female but im a little uncertain for that particular ram

the best way is to observe the difference in the genital papilla, aside from that u should be using as many traits as possible not just fins

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back