Sex My Gt :)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cb854

Reaction score
Hi, Heres my first GT, I'm hoping for a male... Its still only about 2-3 inches. Never kept proper cichlids before (except for discus and dwarf cichlids) and i'm looking forward to seeing him grow. He's in a 4ft x 14inch x 2ft, and has it all to himself.
I'm doing weekly water changes of about 60% and running the tank at about 7.6ph 180GH and about 25celcius. Is this good?

Also can someone please explain to me the scientific names behind this fish... (I know mine isnt a "True" GT) It used to be Aequidins Rivulatus, now is Adinoacara Rivulatus and now somethings going on again and its not Rivulatus anymore..... I know theres different types white saum, Gold saum etc. If theres any GT experts out there I would love to hear all about them :)

Anyway heres the pics, as I said i'm hoping for a male :) I picked him because of his very pointy anal fin.

Attachments

• gt.jpg
    gt.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 209
  • gt2.jpg
    gt2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 220
I don't think that the pleco section is the best place to find GT experts!

oh ****, sorry don't know how i managed to do that lol,
if someone could get this moved that would be great!!!!!! :D

Looks like a male to me, females usually have rounded fins, Butttt, you can never be 100% with GT's, some females have very male traits.

Im not sure on gender as I think it could be a bit young to sex as it may develop more facial markings which will make it easier.

With the family - Green Terrors are a type of Acara and until recently most Acara types were all Aequidens but last year some time a separate family was created called Andinoacara - which is a good thing as green terrors are quite different from things like Blue Acaras that are still in Aequidens (i believe, things are still changing)

Nice fish and nice sounding set up :)
Wills

As said fins look male, but to young to be anywhere near positive

I think the scientific name for the fish in question is now simply Andinoacara "sp" gold saum

Cool, well I'll just have to wait and see how he/she turns out.
Growth rate is massive atm, I am trying the NLS grow formula and having great results
I'm thinking about going and getting a few more to try get a pair but i think i'll just stick with one.
And thanks Inchworm for moving the thread lol :)

I think 'Gold Saums' are now 'Andinoacara Stalsbergi or something like that, that was straight from the top of my head so might not be 100% accurate, White Saums have a seperate name also, can't remember what tho.

Last i knew Blue Acaras where also Andinoacara (Pulcher, Latifrons etc) i don't think anything uses Aequidins anymore, and the ones that where not put in the Andinoacara bracket where demoted to the unclassified 'exCichlasoma', the true Green Terror is now 'Andinoacara Rivulatus', these are rare and not as nice looking as the Saums and you are unlikley to get one unless you had them imported by Jeff Rapps etc, I have owned both Gold And Silver/White and they have no obvious differences, don't know why they are classified differently.

Infact most Green Terror tanks in my lfs are usually a mix of Gold and White, like a lucky dip, and also strangley, the Whites sometimes revert to gold after they hit 4"+ so possibly hybrids.

It needed a change tho because Royal and Port Acaras where just very different to Blues and Green Terrors.

Awesome thanks everyone for all the replies!
Done some research and it seems the "true gt" is now Adinoacara Starlsbergi and the Gold/white saums were Adinoacara rivulatus and could now be only known as Adinoacara "sp" as Davo86 said.
Anyway i hope he turns out nicely, i'm upping the water changes to 2 a week of 60% to try keep up the good growth rate.
Also how long did it take for your GT to start to grow that hump Proxo?

This is all confusing to me lol. Both my female GTs dorsal fins are white/silver and then one has a orange tail fin, other starting to turn silver making it more silver then orange lately - i'll have to try and take some pictures.

Umm can't remember tbh mate, the hump used to come and go when he had tank mates but i removed them a good while back and it's been there since.
Hump isn't as big as in the youtube video now though, gets abit of hassle (nothing serious) from the ladies sometimes lol.

I could really use some help identifying the sex of the two Blue Acaras the two pictures on top is one fish and we've had it since Sept 2017 and the two on the bottom is the other we have had it since April 2017.
IMG_20180213_121752.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back