Severum X Parrot

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AdamWH

Reaction score
Is it possible to cross a gold severum with a female blood parrot? I had originally planned on crossing her with a pink convict to create jellybeans but the pics I've seen of these are fairly uninspiring. Would a severum X look more like a parrot? would they be like darmo parrots?

Adam

Well the cross to make a blood parrot 'seems' to be something like severum x midas or red devil.So I don't see why it's not possible!

Lol, sev must be male and the female a parrot cichlid because if not it's something like 99% chance that the male will be infertile.Also T may be able to help you out, he seems to have bred alot of hybrids.

Good luck

I have a pair of parrots which have spawned but not produced any viable eggs (surprise, surprise!). I just hope im skilled enough to be able to pick a out a male sev! haha.

I bought this pair then went back to buy out the tank but they had all sold. Just my luck, they sit there for 2 years then when i finally track them down they sell like hotcakes!

That must suck.Males have long fins which usually going past there dorsal fin, they can be quite pointy.They also have wormy like markings on their face.

The one I have my eye on has distinct red patterning around the face and looks quite nice for a pure species hahah. I got told that "mongerel" cichlids as well as pure American cichlids have been illegal to import since the 70's so I assume that these parrots were imported as goldfish or something. Theyre not the greatest parrots but i love them and beggers cant be choosy. Perhaps I can keep this sev on until I have enough room to start concocting my own parrots.

Nah I highly doubt it, plus its dubious that a severum was used in the first place. I have heard of sevs and parrots pairing up but no fry ever hatched. My big female parrot used to be paired with a gold sev but they never bred.

Awww. What would you recomend as the best species to try and cross to a female parrot? I have a pink convict but I thought a gold sev would produce better coloured offspring. I had considered a texas.

P.S
T, I just read a post of yours on another thread regarding jellybeans. If I cross a female parrot to male convict will the offspring possess the parrot head or will they just look like stunted convicts? Also, will they inherit any colour or just be plain white/pink? I really want to try and produce "parrotesque" looking fish, possibly with more exotic colouration.

Awww. What would you recomend as the best species to try and cross to a female parrot? I have a pink convict but I thought a gold sev would produce better coloured offspring. I had considered a texas.

P.S
T, I just read a post of yours on another thread regarding jellybeans. If I cross a female parrot to male convict will the offspring possess the parrot head or will they just look like stunted convicts? Also, will they inherit any colour or just be plain white/pink? I really want to try and produce "parrotesque" looking fish, possibly with more exotic colouration.

Crossing a female parrot to a male convict produces convict looking fish a couple of mine were kinda parrot shape but in a heavily deformed way and they eventually died. Using a pink con will not produce any pink fry as the parrot will not carry the convict pink gene. Most of my fry looked like very chunky convicts, all were striped and some had some blue markings(throwback from the parrots parents)one of mine faded a little so there was faint orange markings. One of my mates completly faded to orange so it basically looked like a solid orange convict(I have pics somewhere if you want to see).

The best fish to use to cross with a parrot are red head cichlids (synspilum) or texas cichlids.

Heres a few of my keepers from my parrot x synspilum cross.

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

The parents

6.jpg

Thanks T. I would like to see a pic of those convict parrot crosses. What you say about the bars makes sense and don't all parrots start out barred? I saw a pic on ParrotCichlid.com of a "jellybean" which had a squat body, nuchal hump and quite nice long fins but was solid pearly white. http://parrotcichlid.com/gallery/v/Ioans-G...re_525.jpg.html
Do you think he was produced using a short convict?

Those synspillum x look awesome! Ill have to scout around and see if I can find any potential suitors for her. I know I can get a texas pretty easily but I dont know about redheads. One store had red devil synspillum x's but they only had females left :(. Would a red devil father produce king kongs?

My parrots laid another clutch of eggs today so shes deffinately willing to start a family.

Adam

Thanks T. I would like to see a pic of those convict parrot crosses. What you say about the bars makes sense and don't all parrots start out barred? I saw a pic on ParrotCichlid.com of a "jellybean" which had a squat body, nuchal hump and quite nice long fins but was solid pearly white. http://parrotcichlid.com/gallery/v/Ioans-G...re_525.jpg.html
Do you think he was produced using a short convict?

Those synspillum x look awesome! Ill have to scout around and see if I can find any potential suitors for her. I know I can get a texas pretty easily but I dont know about redheads. One store had red devil synspillum x's but they only had females left :(. Would a red devil father produce king kongs?

My parrots laid another clutch of eggs today so shes deffinately willing to start a family.

Adam

Yup thats just a short body pink con, I have seen many short body cichlids its just a genetic thing. Apart from the shape they dont look anything like parrots. You probably would get some KK's out of a parrot x devil.

I stubmled across apic of a texas parrot cross which look pretty sweet so I went and bought the most male looking Texas in the tank at my LFS (Only about 1.5 inches long). The owner said if it turns out female I can take it back and exchange it, now to feed him up and introduce him (once hes a bit bigger that is).

http://twistedcichlid.netspectra.org/forum...2a2d9c75fc313ff

(I like the one against the glass)

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Adam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back