Severum munchin' my plants!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StingrayKid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought a really nice Green Severum at a LFS today for my 55g tank. He's really colorful, but his true colors really havn't come out yet. But anyways, I noticed he up-rooted a Java Fern and is chewing on it. I didn't think that they liked plnats, I always thought they were carnivores. He's getting along great with my Ropefish and Clown Loaches, but, I'm concerned about this plant eating thing. any help? :dunno:

I'm not sure what their eating habits are. However, most fish do not enjoy java ferns because they are not very palatable. :/

I don't have any java ferns left in my 55g with the sev ;) Severums are omnivorus, and plants are part of their diet :) Try giving him/her some blanched lettuce :nod: My severum loves lettuce for a treat :D Maybe that will help keep your sev from eating plants :dunno:

I would think that feeding green food would encourage it.
I find that almost all NW cichlids LOVE frozen BW and BS

As Dwarfs said Severums are omnivors and they do require some green food in their diet, if you dont provide this they will take it themselves in the form of your live plants. Like with many South American NW Cichlids as they grow their fondness for green matter increases, adult fish dont need as much protein as juvinile fish and so opt for a more herbivorous diet, my breeding pair will choose lettuce over meatier foods every time.

Oh, I never knew they liked veggies so much! :) I'll make sure to give him/her lettuce with the cucumber I add in for my Rafeal and Clown Loaches. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back