Setting up a cichlid tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Icemist

Reaction score
Hi,
Iā€™m new to this forum and looking at setting up a African Cichlid tank. I have had tropical tanks for a little while but am not real experienced but like the look of the cichlids.

I am after some advice with setting it up. I am looking at one of three tanks.

Ā· Eheim Promixa 250 (100cm long x 50 wide x50 high)

Ā· Juwel Rio 240 (121 x 41 x 55)

Is it better to get the wider than taller, Eheim, or better to get the longer narrower one, Juwel? Also quality of the cabinets and tanks?

Which tank is advised?

The setup will be for decorative purposes and there is no intention to breed.

Also are the Juwel filters any good? If I went with a Juwel I was thinking about keeping the standard filter plus put a canister filter on?

Any recommendations on filters with either setup?

I will be using pool filter sand and rocks. Have been told cichlids will destroy plants? Not sure if this is correct?

How many cichlids could I run in the advised tank?

Also unsure about the breeds of African cichlids, but I will look at that once the tank is up and running.

Thanks for your advice and help in advance.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
EDIT: See fluttermoth's post below!
In general, longer tanks are better than taller tanks. Most fish don't swim vertically, save for very tall fish like discus, angelfish, etc. Both tanks look fairly close to each other in appearance, and aren't dramatically tall, so I'd say go for whichever one you prefer.
It depends on the type of cichlid. Some will eat plants, some will dig them up, some don't care. My shell dwellers hated vallis, but they've left the aponogeton alone. African Water Fern, Anubias, and Java Fern are usually safe if you want to try them, since they don't need to be rooted down + can be tied to rocks. They also grow well in hard, alkaline water.
The number of fish depends on what kind of cichlid you'd like! Do you have any preferences on size, temperament, colour?

Last edited:
Actually, Rift Valley cichlids do need taller/deeper tanks rather than long ones. Although they don't swim vertically, they do separate themselves vertically by hierarchy; the caves near the top are less desirable, and occupied by less dominant fish than the lower ones.

As to filtration, go with the biggest you can afford. You need to overstock, at least a bit, to keep aggression down, so the more filtration the better. These fish can cope with quite a lot of current (and I'm assuming by 'African cichlids', you do mean Rift Valley types); Lake Malawi is so large it even has tides; I'm not sure about the other lakes; I only know a bit about Malawis because my mum used to keep mbuna.

They certainly will destroy most plants. Plants are not a natural part of their environment; it's mostly algae covered rocks. You can try tough plants, like the ones Lyraguppy suggests, but even they might not last.

For mbuna, you'd be looking at stocking between 15 and 20 fish, but that could differ depending on what exact species you decide on.

If you have males and females, they will almost certainly breed. Most are mouthbrooders and extremely prolific, as well as being very ready to hybridise in captivity, and there won't be much you can do to stop them, unless you stock with all males.

Is your water hard and alkaline enough for them, or are you going to have to adjust it?

Actually, Rift Valley cichlids do need taller/deeper tanks rather than long ones. Although they don't swim vertically, they do separate themselves vertically by hierarchy; the caves near the top are less desirable, and occupied by less dominant fish than the lower ones.

As to filtration, go with the biggest you can afford. You need to overstock, at least a bit, to keep aggression down, so the more filtration the better. These fish can cope with quite a lot of current (and I'm assuming by 'African cichlids', you do mean Rift Valley types); Lake Malawi is so large it even has tides; I'm not sure about the other lakes; I only know a bit about Malawis because my mum used to keep mbuna.

They certainly will destroy most plants. Plants are not a natural part of their environment; it's mostly algae covered rocks. You can try tough plants, like the ones Lyraguppy suggests, but even they might not last.

For mbuna, you'd be looking at stocking between 15 and 20 fish, but that could differ depending on what exact species you decide on.

If you have males and females, they will almost certainly breed. Most are mouthbrooders and extremely prolific, as well as being very ready to hybridise in captivity, and there won't be much you can do to stop them, unless you stock with all males.

Is your water hard and alkaline enough for them, or are you going to have to adjust it?

Thank you, fluttermoth, and sorry for the misinformation!

Thanks for the info.

I am trying to work out whether to get the wider tank, that is slightly shorter (100cm long x 50 cm wide),

Or the longer tank which is not as wide (121 cm long x 41 cm wide)?

Would you go for the longer but narrower, or shorter but wider?

I am looking at the Lake Malawi cichlids.

Have not fully decided but some of the breeds I am considering are:

Aulonocara stuartgranti (Rubin Red),

Pseudotropheus saulosi,

Nimbochromis polystigma,

Electric Yellow and Blue,

Labidochromis sp. (Hongi),

Dragon Blood Peacock,

Altolamprologus calvus (Black Calvus) and

Altolamprologus compressicep (Gold)

Our water is hard, but I am thinking I still may have to adjust it slightly?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back