Setting Up 300l Hi Tec Planted Tank Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

newfishkeeper999

Reaction score
well ive been keeping fish for about 8 months now and want to take the plunge into a full blown planted tank ,

i have an aqua one regency 120 aquarium 300 litres

2kg co2

dennerle profi 2000 reg

dennerle shut off valve

dennerle drop checker

hydor 300w eth

eheim pro 2 2028

waiting for external co2 reactor from germany

but im i bit stuck with the lighting ,i have 2 30w t8 s at the minute that came with the tank any suggestions !!
im seriously considering an arcadia luminaire 4x 54w (any one use one what they like will it be ok on my tank as its quite deep )

allso im considering 6 bags of eco complete ouch is it worth it £100 plus for 3" in the tank any help appreciated i might even start a journal with loads of pics

definatley start a journal :hyper:

you need 160w at least - The 4 x 54w will be perfect.

It shouldn't be to bad with the light/ depth. If you want a capet then you will struggle but extra light will compensate, or get some PC's, they will penetrtae deep.

Thanks, aaron

i have an arcadia luminaire 4 x 54 on my 70cm deep tank. and i dont struggle with any plants....(touching wood)....yet.lol.

there brilliant lights.

mark

i have an arcadia luminaire 4 x 54 on my 70cm deep tank. and i dont struggle with any plants....(touching wood)....yet.lol.

there brilliant lights.

mark

thanks for the reply is that 70cm from the top of the substrate to the rim of the tank or from the substrate to the tubes? allso do they come with 2 plugs so u can put 2 timers on or does 1 plug power all 4 tubes thanks

here are some pics with and without the hood and the standard t8 lighting 30w each im i a bit concerned the arcadia luminaire 4 x 54 w wont penertrate deep eneogh its 640 mm from top of substrate to the rim of the tank plus what ever the distance it is from the rim of the tank to the tubes allso the maximum water level is about 100mm from the rim of the tank any advice :crazy:

Attachments

• DSCF0241.JPG
    DSCF0241.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0242.JPG
    DSCF0242.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0243.JPG
    DSCF0243.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 61
it measures 70 cm from lights to substrate. it also has 2 plugs which i've goy bothm of them on timers. staggerd 2 on, 4 on 2on off. i think when you see them on for the first time. youll BE BLOWN AWAY.

the lights in my town dim when i switch them on. if you think that on 300 litres youve got roughly 3 watts per gallon @t8 with t5 double it. there's your answer :good:

thanks,

yes that's 4 x 54 t5 version. you really will be able to grow anything with them.

co2 and ferts are a must. otherwise your gonna get some seriuos algae issues. trust me i did!

thanks,

yes that's 4 x 54 t5 version. you really will be able to grow anything with them.

co2 and ferts are a must. otherwise your gonna get some seriuos algae issues. trust me i did!

my minds made up lol im buying one. i have co2 presurised ready to go just out of interest what ferts do u use ei ?or other .
allso i like the black background is there a reason why i see lots of blue backgrounds is black better for planted tanks ?i bought my tank with a blue background fitted by the lad i bought it from. sorry about millions of questions :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i prefer black for planted tanks, definately focuses your eyes on the plants, but if your trying to create an endless effect blue can work too, i myself use EI which is a great method for high tech planted tanks, there are others but they can limit certain nutrients which can cause algae, mostly phosphate, i think you should go for EI, its so easy to buy dry ferts and mix up the liquids yourself.

i too was using ei, now i swaped to tropica plant nutrion+

theres no advantage in a black background.it just seems to bring out the plants a bit more.

plant as heavely as you can, stuff it with plants to keep algae to a minimum.

nice move with the lights btw.

just like to add i also use a 4 x 54W arcadia luminaire and its the best lighting ive ever had, wouldnt trade back for anything else.

I dose 5ml daily of TPN+ and get great results, a lot of other people do, it is similar to EI but not as much nutrients are dosed

also you may want to try tpn+ root tabs. i had deficencies is some plants, place the tabs near the root system and as if by magic. healthy new growth.

brilliant! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back