Senegal Bichir Has Strange Behavior?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BamBeckham

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I wonder why my Bichir behave strangely the last 2 days. It behaves like a wild, sweeping sands at 1 part of my tank so that it becomes low & then makes the sand in the middle of my tank to be high. My water becomes cloudy due to the strange behavior of this fish.

FYI, the places of the mess is the place where I put the organic soil containing 5 layers of soils, minerals, bacteria, root, iron & Soil. And coarse sand layers thereon. This is to facilitate my growing plants there. FYI, I have put this organic soil is more than a week, but it began to be stirred by my Bichir 2 days ago.

Tank20130626_Righta.jpg

The question is, why my Bichir has strange behavior? Is it she don't like the organic soil or it just happens in that place because there is the only place to do sweeping. The other part of my tank  are quite difficult to do so because it is relatively narrow area with my Java Fern Trident plant.

Are they afraid? But I only have a few small fish in my tank as food.

OR maybe there is something he wants like to find a partner for mating?

Is there anyone here can explain to me what is going on to my Bichir?

Thanks

# I still maintain a pH of 6.8-7.2, Ammonia & nitrite <0:25, temperature 27-29'C.
Tank20130626a.jpg

I just bought the new 150L tank last Sunday & now still in Cycling process. I'm planning to put my Bichir later after my new tank finish cycle that probably take 5-6 weeks.

Is there any other way to calms her down for temporary until my new tank finish cycle?

Thanks.

BamBeckham said:
I just bought the new 150L tank last Sunday & now still in Cycling process. I'm planning to put my Bichir later after my new tank finish cycle that probably take 5-6 weeks.

Is there any other way to calms her down for temporary until my new tank finish cycle?

Thanks.

BamBeckham said:

Thanks.

I guess as long as you're keeping that Ammonia and Nitrite down I wouldn't worry.
Is there any hiding places like a cave or something she could go in?
Might be slightly stressed and needs somewhere to go and hide.

Yes, I have a wood to give her a place to hide. [See Picture]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:70095]

Ah this wasn't showing up on my phone. I see it now.
Other than that there is no way of "de-stressing" a fish tbh.
I don't know much if anything about the Senegal Bichir so I don't know if they like to dig and burrow or?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back