Seeking tank stocking advise.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CHUA KOK TUNG

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to set up my third tank, which will be 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft planted tank (About 64 gallon).

PH 7.4
GH 5
KH 3
Unheated water in my room = 19~24 degrees Celsius (Only drops below 22 if my air conditioning is on)

Currently, I'm thinking of getting either 3 angelfish or 1 giant betta or 2 german blue rams as the centerpiece fish. Are there any important things to take note of for any of those 3 species? And what are some ideal tank mates for those fishes? And finally, will any of those fish mess with plants?

I am also looking to get a school of schooling fish like cardinal tetras and a shoal of bottom-dwelling corydoras for this tank.

To Add On...
I just found a 950L plastic tub for sale at $300 SGD, sold by LFS, this is equivalent in cost for me to buy the 4ft stand and tank, maybe even cheaper. Anyone with Tub experience to share? Thinking that it will be suitable for a goldfish pond.

Last edited:
The first thing is temperature. The common blue rams (German Blue or any other variety of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) must have warmth, with 80F (27C) being the minimum year-round. If you select rams, other fish in the tank will need to be tolerant of such high temperatures. Cardinal tetras would be OK, but not most (if not all) of the Corydoras species.

Second thing...what species are you referring to by "giant Betta"?

Third...on the angelfish, this is a shoaling species and must have a group of at least five. Two, three or four are not advisable, except for a bonded pair. This fish develops an hierarchy within the group in an aquarium, and fewer than five will inevitably result in trouble. With five or more, the issue of a pair forming and spawning can be trouble--others may have to be removed.

Plants will not be an issue here, though very warm temperatures can affect some plant species (thinking about the rams).

Second thing...what species are you referring to by "giant Betta"?

Apparently, they are like normal bettas, just selective breeded to be larger in general.

Thanks for the advice on the angel and rams, I think I will cross out the rams as I want some corydoras action haha. Guess I will either find a bonded pair of angels or betta for centerpiece fish.

Apparently, they are like normal bettas, just selective breeded to be larger in general.

Thanks for the advice on the angel and rams, I think I will cross out the rams as I want some corydoras action haha. Guess I will either find a bonded pair of angels or betta for centerpiece fish.

Male bettas are not community fish. They should be kept individually in their own tank. The fish will be stressed in community tanks no matter how well it might appear to be managing.

Bonded angelfish bring other issues, and tankmates in this small a space (to the angelfish) will pose problems.

Male bettas are not community fish. They should be kept individually in their own tank. The fish will be stressed in community tanks no matter how well it might appear to be managing.

Bonded angelfish bring other issues, and tankmates in this small a space (to the angelfish) will pose problems.

Hmm, then I think I will need to reconsider. Thanks for the info.

Would a female betta work well in a community? I have read conflicting thoughts on this.

I think it depends on each indivdual fish's temperment. My male Betta basically ignores the 5 harlequins and the nerite snail in my 10 gallon tank and they ignore him. Harlequins are a relatively slow moving fish and are very peaceful . But I can move the harleys to another tank if need be. But housing a Betta with an angel is asking for problems.

Last edited:
I have six Bleeding Heart Tetras and five corydoras. Plus 2 nerite snails. I guess I wont know unless I try.

I have six Bleeding Heart Tetras and five corydoras. Plus 2 nerite snails. I guess I wont know unless I try.

If you are going to try, make sure that the LFS will take it back if they turn out to be not compatible. or make sure you have another tank available.

If this is the 20g high tank from the other thread, you do not have space for a female Betta. The BH get large, 2.5 to 3 inches, and will not appreciate other fish in their space.

If this is the 20g high tank from the other thread, you do not have space for a female Betta. The BH get large, 2.5 to 3 inches, and will not appreciate other fish in their space.
Yeah. I didn't think so. I just like to dream. Another tank for another time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back