Second Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Swampey40

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking at getting a second tank of about 5ft to 6ft, dont really want to get a cabinet just the tank only and I have a 3½ solid pine side board / dresser,

Now my thoughts was, If I placed an 18mm thickness sheet of MDF onto of the sideboard would it support the weight or would I need to build some additional supporting legs ?

If it were my setup, I would use 3/4 inch exterior grade plywood under it and put legs in all corner..2x3 lumber would work fine for the legs..don't use mdf as it can easily get damaged from water

I would go even further. A five or six foot tank is extremely heavy. I would use at minimum 1-inch thick plywood, and have 1 by 3 inch wood completely around the underside of the plywood corresponding to the outline of the tank frame. The end supports at all four corners, and in the middle too if this is just wood, need to be under the 1 X 3 framing.

It may not look as nice, but for tanks over 3 feet I always use concrete building blocks (cinder blocks) for the support at both ends.

The dresser will not be sufficient support at all, so I would build this on its own. Also keep in mind the weight of this much water plus the glass and stand; I would not have this large a tank on a frame construction floor, only concrete.

I would go even further. A five or six foot tank is extremely heavy.
Glass water plus substrate = about 800kg for a 6 foot tank.

Here's my version of a tank stand for a 6 foot tank.

LfxmwCB.jpg

This image was taken after major flooding so don't mind the peeling paint.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back