Second Hand Tank With Used(Wet) Filter, How To Cycle

wilchil64

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

I haven't posted for a long time. During divorce and house sale I had no fish. I've note purchased a second hand small tank, it arrives tomorrow. It's been in use until they empty it to bring it here, they're bringing the filter with the media immersed in used tank water, but can't transport more water. How can I cycle the tank best without losing the "good stuff"in the filter?

I've bought today gravel (they had pink in - not to my taste), plants, stones, bogwood, flake food, tap safe and the bacteria stuff.

I'm planning on either a shoal of endlers or small tetras - the endlers in the shop today were beautiful colours.

I'm happy to do daily water changes etc.

At the moment I've washed the gravel thoroughly and the stones, the bogwood is soaking in tap safed water with the plants.

Thanks for your advice.

provided the media remains wet in used tank water it should remain 'cycled'. Most of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter, the rest is in the substrate mainly. Any beneficial bacteria in tank water is minimal.

My advice would be to set the tank up, dechlorinate and then start stocking slowly testing for ammonia and nitrite all the while (daily for at least a week)

Thanks ☺ I'm taking their gravel out and using my own. I've got everything washed and sitting in dechlorinated water now, ready for tomorrow.

So if I set it up, fill it with dechlorinated water, can I add a couple of very small fish, i.e endlers, tomorrow to to keep the media "working"? I'll check the water daily,I have bought a good kit, I would do that anyway. How often would you add more fish? A couple a week?
Sorry, I didn't make it clear .. My worry is that with nothing to do, i.e no fish in the tank, the bacteria will die off.
Also, the tank holds 60 litres .. Am I ok putting a small shoal of endlers in there, maybe ten in total, built up gradually?

Hi, set it up with dechlorinated water and set the filter running. I'd let it settle for a couple of days. I'd then look to stock the tank with 3 fish per week, feeding lightly and cleaning up anything they don't eat. I'd get yourself a test kit (if you havn't already) the API masterkit is one that is readily available in all major fish stores. From this kit you can test pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. 

Test the tank for ammonia and nitrite daily, it'll also be good to know the nitrate level. If ammonia and nitrite remain zero and your getting a reading for nitrate then you've no need to worry about recycling.

It's also good to know the pH ... as this can provide clues to your water type. Knowing your water type helps with stocking as some fish thrive in soft water and some prefer hard. It's always best to stock for your water type. If you already know your water type let us know and we can advise better on stock :)

Thanks. The API kit is the one I've got.

Not sure of water on at the moment, I'll check.

Won't the bacteria in the filter die if they've no waste from fish to feed on for three days?

no, bacteria is tougher than we think. If you are worried you can provide a little ammonia for it to feed on by adding small amounts of fish food but for a few days it should be fine provided it doesn't come into contact with un-dechlorinated water. It's the metals in the water that can affect it but it takes a while for bacteria to die.

Recommending adding 3 fish a week though is allowing for a little die back and also allowing for the fact that we don't know how many fish the previous occupier kept. This is also why I'm suggesting you test ammonia and nitrite daily to be sure that the filter is coping.

Have you had a look at the new to the hobby section? There's some pinned posts there about cycling your tank. There will something there worth a read :)

Thanks, that sounds great.

I'm not really new, I kept a few tanks about seven years ago, just a bit rusty, so thought it better to double check.

I would never add water with chlorine, don't worry

yeah, I read that you'd had tanks before but it sometimes helps to just refresh the memory - that was the only reason I suggested reading the pinned posts :)

Thanks, you're right, it's definitely a good idea to refresh my memory.

The tank has arrived, it's an Aqua One Aqua Mode 600. I've filled it, I'll try and attach a photo.

Sorry here's the photo

Attachments

• 2016-05-14 14.58.38.jpg
    2016-05-14 14.58.38.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 156

Most reactions

trending

Back