Second 60 ltr tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

splasher72

Reaction score
I have a 60 ltr tank with 22 small fish in but am going to buy a second tank and stock this with small fish.
The question is when on my holidays for 7 days I have a automatic feeder for 1 tank, will it be alright to put all the fish in 1 tank for 7 days and how many.
This will be only the 1 week a year.
So I will be looking at 40 small fish in total.

I wouldn't recommend it, the filter won't be prepared for the bioload and it could cause a huge spike in ammonia

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

As expected will get a second automatic feeder but don't tell the wife.

It would be best to forget the automatic feeder, just for the one week. Fish can easily go a week and longer without food, if they are healthy to begin with. Plus, there will be some natural food in the tank, though not so likely in a new tank admittedly.

Feeders do sometimes fail, and if one dumps in more food than it is supposed to, you could easily kill the tank of fish before you get back from the sudden ammonia/nitrite.

The other thing, never set up a new tank if you plan to be away shortly thereafter. You should be around for a few weeks to ensure all is well. An established tank is less likely to cause problems.

Byron.

We are not away till May, so plenty of time to plan.
As for the fish feeder, the one I have already I have on test, just an empty dish to collect the food, at the moment I am testing to see if it jams, and if it misses a turn plus how long a full filling will last, food is small granules.
The machine started its test on the 12th of Feb.
It is set for 3 small feedings per day, the first day was into my tank now its moved to the dish as my wife misses feeding them.
I am now on the process of setting up the second tank but will take more time to this as I feel I rushed my first tank.
As I am a new comer to this hobby, I expected to loose some fish, did have a leak on the first tank but the supplier changed it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back