Schooling Different Tetras?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Man of fish

I'm Interested in.... ----|> that
Reaction score
Can it be done with any species of tetras? I wanted to know if I could do cardinals and neons. Could any other species work?

It can be done but it isnt very easy to notice unless you have a decent sized tanks as a group of say 10 neons could at times fill a 60ltr tank so any other specie of tetra will be close to some fish most of time but if you chose tighter schooling fish like alot of the deeper bodied species that stick togeher tighter it would work better. I've always find that if you keep a large number of one specie and a much smaller of another then the they will swim together for protection

Would 2 neons school with 8 cardinals?

My male betta used to school with my Harlequin Rasboras. It can be a comfort thing to be a part of the pack. It also depends on the personality of the fish. But why would you buy small groups of fish to try and get them to school together? Wouldn't it make sense to buy aquequate size groups of one or the other so that the fish are comfortable?

Well the other day I bought 5 neons because I was going to shoal 10 of them but then 2 died and 1 looks about to die and wanted to know if they would shoal together or if I should just return the 2 neons and get all 10 cardinals instead of 8 cards and 2 neons.

yeh I have about 20 cardinals and they shoal with 6 neons. they dont shoal with the congos though.

I'm not sure how to respond.
blink.gif
First off, it would really be so much easier if you would include your tank(s) and their stats and the fist you keep in each one in your signature so we can see what you have.

Why wouldn't you just get a large number of one of the species? Your explanation doesn't quite explain your reasoning. Is 10 a magic number somehow? I think the two species of tetra can live together well, but as with other species it's best to get enough of one kind to make a shoal instead of trying to mix them up and hope for the best. So if 10 is your number, either get 8 more neons, or take them back and get all cards.

Ok I'll just return them and get all cards.
As for the sig I'll put my tanks and stock on there after Christmas because I'm restocking right now. If I figure out how to do it on an iPhone I'll do it now but haven't figured it out yet.

My 10 year old has (6) neons & (6) glowlights & they have their own shoals most of the time. If they're all startled, like when someone bumps the tank, they all move togther. If it were up to me I would've gotten all neons instead. In my humble opinion the larger the school the better it looks.

Returned the last neon and bought 5 cardinals instead. I plan on adding 5 more within the next 2 weeks.

Schooling is a defense strategy. The more threatened a fish feels, the more it is inclined to school up with others. As such, threatened fish of different species will school up if the perceived threat is big enough.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back