Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

philbozz

Reaction score
Heya guys,

As I'm gonna give my tank a good cleanout sometime soon (Transfer fish into another small tank and clean the gravel,etc,etc) I was wondering whether a bit of sand is a good or bad idea, I'm still gonna leave it entirely gravel based but I just wondered whether a bit in one corner would be a nice feature for the loach or crabs to dig about in?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers.

Your better off in doing the whole tank.... thats what i'm about to perform come next weekend as i'm off work and parents in Spain!!! :p

Do you have an unfer gravel filter? If so sand is a bad idea.

If you like sand consider to moving to a biological filter and having a thin layer of sand across the whole of the bottom of the tank. It looks much nicer and IMHO is a lot easier to keep clean as the dirt stays on the top and is easily syphoned off.

Or you can make a section of the tank sand and keep the rest gravel although you will have to be more careful when siphoning around the sand.

About Sand has quite some information about sand in it that you might find useful.

I recommend taking all the gravel out and changing to sand completely. When mixing the sand tends to take a couple of weeks to sink inbetween the gravel completely, and when it does you simply dont see the sand anymore. Most fish prefer sand over gravel, specially loaches and corydoras species.

Good luck changing it all around :)

Ahh right, thanks guys.

Was planning on getting a UG filter when I give the tank its C-Check (rip everything out and replace it :p) .

The plan so far, fish and water into small tank. Excess water down the bath, clean gravel( or replace with sand as it may be) put a load of plants in it get some new wood for it, then put everything back in :D

That's the plan whether it will materialise/go well is another story.... :p

philbozz said:
Was planning on getting a UG filter when I give the tank its C-Check (rip everything out and replace it :p) .
UGF wont work with sand. If you have other filtration available then sand is the way to go, looks better and the fish IME like it better.

Jon

Sand it shall be, I'll have a word with the fish in a bit about it :look:

My next visit to the aquatic centre will be to get a bag of sand or two, a few more plants and a new piece of bogwood. Will I end up with algae growing on the sand or not its just that my gravel has started to build up with a bit of algae.

Hey I just have a question, if I get sand in my 10 gallon, will the 2 mini aquaclear power filters be a problem? Or is that good? I always wanted sand and my cory's definetly want it too.

Don't get your sand from your lfs!!!! you will pay far too much, get it from your DIY shop, Play pit sand is what you want, just wash it well.

Jon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back